+ Reply to Thread

"SWEET SPOT" FOR FUEL ECONOMY HIGHWAY DRIVING

BACKGROUND: I own a 2006 HCH II. I recently took a business trip from San Antonio, TX to Kansas City, MO. Total miles on trip was 2,250, with 1,700 miles via I-35. Balance of miles was "in and around" miles.

DISCUSSION: The essence of my question/comment is what is the "sweet spot" for fuel economy on such a trip. The terrain between here and Kansas City is essentially flat to gently rolling hills on I-35 (with exception in southern/eastern Kansas for the Flint Hills). I kept my Cruise Control in the on position most of the time set at 60 MPH. I averaged 54.2 MPG for the entire trip. Trip was in July 2008. Daytime temperature highs were over 90 degrees. Wind on I-35 was essentially neutral. I felt a speed less than 60 MPH made me an "accident waiting to happen". How could I have done better, without getting into the "hyper-mile" type techniques?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you *could* have done

Yes, you *could* have done better but I would not call that the result of any hypermiling technique. However, hypermilers are adept at finding Easter Eggs in many of today's hybrids and the HCH-II has a few one of which is a Super Highway Mode.

The HCH-2 can achieve exceptional mileage provided that you get it into the SAHM mode. In this mode you can easily get 70-90 MPG while traveling at speeds of 55-62 MPH. By the way, cruise control is a NO-NO.

You can see it here:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14295

Cheers;

MSantos

Santos I was wondering at

Santos

I was wondering at what speed you can achieve 70mpg. And how long can you hold it.

Thanks

70MPG? With the car on

70MPG?

With the car on SAHM mode that's just the start and it can be held for as long as you allow it.

When I do a highway trip (solo) I can easily attain 80-90 MPG running at 55-62 MPH. Wit a loaded car I will score a 69-75 MPG at the same speeds.

Cheers;

MSantos

My trips are mostly on hiway

My trips are mostly on hiway 25 miles each way.Is a scangauge neccesary
    to get the high mpg

Thanks again

I've had people tell me they

I've had people tell me they manage to use the SAHM mode without the need for a scangauge... but I doubt they can hold the mode steady solely by the seat of their pants. I know I can't since the optimal IGN and LOD ranges are very narrow and that makes the Scangauge a must have in my book.

Cheers;

MSantos

Scanguage not necessary,

Scanguage not necessary, although I don't doubt it would help. It's quite obvious when it's in the "Super Atkinson Highway Mode" when the iFCD is in the 75-100 mpg range. It's easy to keep it there, as long as the grade of the road and winds cooperate. I don't imagine a Scanguage will do much to flatten out the hills or reduce the headwinds either.

Tire pressure seems to be a big player too. I found to my dismay that my stock Dunlops don't seem to want to hold 44 psi. I have to top them off every week with 2-3 psi. I discovered that by experiencing difficulty in staying in SAHM during my normal commute. Top off the tires - back to normal.

My car was improving steadily as it broke in, and as I learned techniques from this and other forums, until now I seem to have reached a plateau of 64mpg now for my commute at around 2500 miles on the odometer. I'm quite sure that if I could do a long highway trip I would see 70+.

I wonder how you change your

I wonder how you change your speed in the terrain and the percentage of brakes you apply for an average trip.