+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

'09 FEH/MMH Econ Mode

For those that have Automatic Climate Control, have you found any reason why you can't go EV in the Econ mode? I'm the second person that is having a problem on our '09 FEH. I'm wondering if the temperature setting has to be met in the cabin before shutdown of the ICE can occur. My '05 FEH has a manual A/C and shuts down the ICE for EV no matter the cabin temp in the Econ mode.

Someone with a '08 FEH/MMH may know the answer also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

hey Gary ... Additional

hey Gary ...

Additional testing and I could never get an ICE shut off in Econ with AC on - even as I was playing around with the temp knobs and split climate control etc..... so I dont think it is linked to the cabin temp -Even though that makes a lot of sense.

IT IS REALLY HOT here now 95++ so I am wondering if it may have something to due with ambient temps --- EX: if its a 100 degrees out, most users are going to reach right down and click off Econ the min the ICE (and AC) turns off as the car is going to heat very very fast - so possibly Ford picked an ambient temp that holds the ICE on to limit this fighting with the dashboard buttons and swearing at the car... I dunno, just thinking.

I will try to test this some evening here when we have a 70 ish degree night and the sun is not cooking the Black Pearl.

Others Please chime in - as this "feature" is not working as advertised.

Hi Cougar I also had no luck

Hi Cougar

I also had no luck in the ECON mode going EV again today. I copied this question on BlueOval.com and others are not having the same problem. Lets hope we can get a number of people reporting our problem so when we take it to the dealer, they don't say it's working normal and waste our time. I want to do a heater core bypass, but I'm waiting to solve any problems first.

My service adviser I've known for 20 years knows I may have a problem, but I'd like to see all our heads put together so a fix will be fast and easy. The Hybrid Tech that I work with in the past, has moved out of State. Joe was a smart dude and I don't know the guy that took his place. The other problem is, an A/C Tech may not understand or be certified on Hybrids. This sounds like a Ford Hotline problem to me.

Gary, Our '08 FEH has

Gary,
    Our '08 FEH has automatic climate control with the econ setting and it works great. When in econ mode the ICE cycles on and off as it normally would even if the target temperature has not been reached.

It sounds as if you have already concluded that there is a defect and I'll bet that it's a fairly simple problem with a switch or wiring.

(Now, there is a very remote chance that your ICE is staying on all the time because the AC compressor is running to keep the batteries cool in the summer heat. I'm assuming that crossed your mind and you've already ruled it out.)

Hi mdensch Your '08 operates

Hi mdensch

Your '08 operates like I thought my '09 would, so thanks for the support. The point you bring up with battery temperature I've addressed in the Blueoval forum.

There is however a Ford Plant employee poster that calls himself "Critic" that had issues with my hypermiling techniques. Since Cougar and I had the same order, this guy may have caused damage to our units in some way. The language this guy used tells me he needs help and Ford has a liability problem with him working for them.

Who knows what the problem came from, but my investigative background says Cougar and I have a problem that may have been caused. This would be what most lawyers call damages!

I'm no fan of conspiracy

I'm no fan of conspiracy theories, so I'm going to be a bit skeptical about the tampering scenario.

If this is, indeed, the reason for your problem, the employee would probably have to have performed the sabotage after the the vehicle was assembled, at or least after the HVAC system and all its controls were installed. Otherwise, he or she couldn't have known for sure which vehicle the parts would be installed in.

I would also wonder why he/she would choose this one element of the vehicle's operation to sabotage, except that it would be relatively easy to do which means that it should be relatively easy to fix.

What really drives my skepticism is that I can't imagine why a plant employee would get upset with you personally over your hypermiling techniques. I mean, I realize that there are a lot of sickos out there, but this just doesn't make sense unless there is more to the story.

There is also a distinct possibility that a small batch of defective switches made their way into some of the '09 Escapes. As Freud is said to have said: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

It is most likely a

It is most likely a defective program or switch, but I'm going to advise my Service Adviser ahead of time just in case.

This guy is a whack job for sure, he accused me of abusing my FEH with 50psi in my tires. He then threaten to come to my address and follow me so he could ram me and my FEH from behind. Needless to say I haven't seen him post on that site anymore. He was having other problems with other posters and I think the site Admin ban him from posting.

Wow, Gary - that's intense.

Wow, Gary - that's intense.

My 08 FEH will cycle the ICE

My 08 FEH will cycle the ICE on and off depending on the demand from the A/C in the cabin even when it's in ECON mode. I'm in South Texas, so the afternoons it takes about 5 mins or so to get the cabin/batteries cool enough for the ICE to turn off. However, once the temperature in the cabin gets past a certain threshold, the ICE will kick back on, cool down the cabin, then turn back off.

At least, that's what mine does. :shrugs:

[Tossing 2 more cents in . .

[Tossing 2 more cents in . . . ]

My experience has been that no matter how hot it gets, with the A/C in ECON mode, the system cycles the ICE on and off according to its own parameters, not cabin comfort.