+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thanks gehlinger Yes, I knew

Thanks gehlinger

Yes, I knew you were ggirl also. I guess my dealer and Broker were right about a week to ten days for shipping. That would put me between July 25-28 for arrival. I'm approved for a car loan already so all I need to do is sign and pick it up at my Credit Union where my Broker works. He has it put on a flatbed at the dealership and brings it up from Miami which is about 80 miles away from Palm Beach Gardens.

First things will be to hook-up two SGII's, air up the tires, Sync up the family cell phones and get the windows tinted. Better do a heater core bypass before the window tinting because you can't roll the windows down for a few days. This time I'm going to have tint put on the windshield as much as legally possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Still chomping on the bit -

Still chomping on the bit - no teeth left. Argh... Ford status shows that it has been shipped on 7-10 (on the train) thats a long time ago, and days before gehilinger's. The dealer manager says it never takes this long on the train- he made a call to his region rep and got a cryptic response about a very short "hold" on vehicles to allow for a nation wide or regional simultaneous release of the 09's or somesuch B-S .... now, I love my dealer, they have been very straight all along - but I am left now in a fog - who is the puppet here and who is holding the strings - Georgia is WAY furthur from the assembly plant than Denver -- and so is Florida, Both GaryG and I had our orders in the system way way back on the very first day it opened. Seems to me that UPS can track a package containing a fruit cake tin - better than Ford can track a $40,000 car.... I need to relax -Whoosaaaa... Yoga? Nawww, I think I will pull the cover off and go burn some pricy dino and smoke some rubber in my ole Mercury 351 Cobra Jet - Cougar XR7 convertable. It gets about 9 mpg. AND NO, it does not have a SCAN GUAGE! The object IS to burn as much gas as you can. no FAS, no Double tap, no Pulse and glide... ALL PULSE, then cram on the brakes and repeat. <GRIN>. (but only a few times a summer for medicinal purposes)

Cougar72, How frustrating!

Cougar72,

How frustrating! There's another person that got their's this week, I think he lives in Cali. I'm trying to remember the details, but I think he ordered the same time you and GaryG did, and his was produced the first week, but then it got held up on the trains also, he was told a weather hold, then they had to off-load the train and it tooks a few more weeks. I wonder if the floods in the midwest somehow effected shipping? I know we'll here the minute you get it. Hang in there!

Happy waiting guys! I am

Happy waiting guys! I am excitied for you all... I remember how it felt when my '08 FEH came in. I'd be interested in comparing the updates between the 2 years... seems to be quite a few changes.

Gary, Remind me again what

Gary,

Remind me again what benefit a heater core bypass brings? Also, will this void my warranty? Hope your 09 comes in this weekend!

Hi Evlar The heater core

Hi Evlar

The heater core bypass prevents the 180 degree engine coolant from circulating within the heater core and cabin duct system. This allows the A/C and vent air to stay cool longer as it circulates in the ductwork and the cabin. In other words you take the constant heating element (heater core radiator) heat out from the cabin A/C duct system. Now when the A/C compressor is off during EV, the air stays cooler longer as the climate fan circulates the air through the duct system. Also, the outside air comes through the duct system without being heated by the heater core when you turn on the vent.

The way I bypass the heater core is so that it can be reversed in a matter of minutes to the stock installation. No cutting the factory hoses and I use the factory clamps for the bypass. Also, I don't drain the coolant when I do the bypass or undo the bypass. I catch a little coolant in a small container as I remove the heater hoses at the firewall and replace it back in the coolant system when I'm finished.

Ford knew I did the bypass because the tech reported it to them when I was having problems with relays. The tech ask me about it and he confirmed he figured that it was done to keep the A/C air cooler longer. Since the bypass had nothing to do with the problem I had with the relays, the tech said nothing about voiding any warranties. If I was having problems with the A/C, I would reverse the bypass before taking the vehicle in for repair under warranty though.

The parts I get are 2 5/8" 90 degree heater hose elbows, 2 hose clamps, 2 5/8" heater nipples to plug the heater core and a ~2" piece of heater hose. There are instructions and pictures on how to do the bypass in this forum and on CleanMPG.com.

The heater core by-pass

The heater core by-pass modification is a "simple" modification for almost all of us. You can use the NAPA autoparts shown in the photos at cleanmpg.com site or use similiar ones at your local auto parts store. Just print out the photos, take them into the autoparts store and let the sales staff locate the items in the store for you. This modification will cost somewhere around $10.00

Wow, thanks Gary and Billy.

Wow, thanks Gary and Billy. I did not know that this heater core bypass was so prevalent amongst us FEH drivers. I guess my follow up question would be... do you notice a significant difference... esp in this extreme heat? Also, if it is purely beneficial, why do you suppose Ford designed it the way that they did to begin with? Sorry if I am throwing this post off subject!

Congrats agian to all the new FEH drivers on here!

It's an improvement, but in

It's an improvement, but in extreme heat you'll need to kick in the engine and compressor with long EV times. I set the fan speed to 1 or 2 speed after I get the cabin cool and just kick the FEH out of EV when I need too.

Ford does a good job cooling the cabin and mixing the heater with the A/C so people can adjust the temperature. During the hot summer I can regulate the A/C air with the fan speed or outside air good enough without the heater. Without the hot coolant heat, the cabin cools quicker and stays longer in EV. Any improvement in saving gas by allowing more EV is better.

My '09 FWD FEHL arrived at

My '09 FWD FEHL arrived at the dealership this weekend which took ~9 days after it left KC. It's being flatbed from Miami up to Palm Beach Gardens so I can pick it up at 4pm today. Reviews coming soon!