+ Reply to Thread

Waiting list update

Just recently ordered a Prius about two weeks ago. 06-27. The dealer seemed uncertain on how long the wait was. Anyone else know.

There was another deal that said they could get one sooner if I paid over sticker. What is with that?

A dealer black market I don't know about? Nonsense.

No, it is called free market

No, it is called free market capitalism.

the "sticker price" is only a SUGGESTED RETAIL price, there are no guarentees.

When the dealer's can't move F-350 trucks to save their lives, they discount the price.

BUT... when a car is HOT, and there is a waiting list, it is normal, expected, and perfectly legal to charge OVER list price.

It happened when the hummer's were brand new, and the PT cruiser. Now the Prius.

As I understand it, the hold-up is in the battery manufacturer. They can only produce enough batteries for about 15,000 Prius a year.

I understand the free market

I understand the free market info, but why can one dealer think
    he could get one faster than another dealer? Or is he just blowing smoke so he could soak me for more money.

I've been waiting for a Pkg.

I've been waiting for a Pkg. #2, Silver Prius since May 15th, 2008. I was told wait time is between 9 to 12 weeks!
    Thinking of a second low gas milage car as well, so I went shopping at a different and larger dealership (than the one where I ordered the Prius). I asked the question on the waiting time for a Prius at their larger dealership and he said it has to do with volume of cars sold, in other words the stronger your history of sales the more cars you'll be allocated by Toyota. Personally I wouldn't believe that more $$$ gets you a car faster. If they want to seel you a car @ sticker, then they are doing just fine, the other orders I'm willing to bet haven't paid a price like that.

gschaut, you just scared me with that 15,000 battery figure!

Are you certain it is per year?

You are correct, that should

You are correct, that should read 15,000 prius per month, or 180,000 per year. I misquoted CNN, sorry.

With regard to sales. You are a Toyota Dealer. You are going to recieve X number Prius this month. You have 2X, 3X, whatever customers come in the door wanting to buy Pruis.

Do you sell the cars first-come, first-served?

Or do you sell the few availabe Pruis to the customer who is willing to pay $5,000 over list price?

Do the math!!!

gschaut, Thanks for the

gschaut, Thanks for the correction. Whew! Now I can get up off the floor!
    I trust the dealers are paying attention to a first come first served list. I can't imagine how they'd get a car faster from Toyota just buy getting another 5 G added to their wallet. I,ve asked my salesman for the Prius if I could do anything to hurry things along and he has only suggested that color and options make a difference as Toyota does not allow orders to be "built" at the factory by a customer then shipped. The dealer just looks at their list of customer orders after their allotment of cars comes in and calls the customer to tell'em to come and get it. If your desired car configuration is not in the shippment, then you have to wait till another allotment is distributed from Toyota.

The thing is that at the

The thing is that at the dealer I ordered from have said they are a family owned large volume dealership that does not sell over sticker so there is no negotiation.

This other place implied that they could get one sooner but I would have to pay over sticker.
    They would not elaborate on how they do this so I believe they are full of crap, trying to soak me.
    That is why I made the black market remark. I guess they maybe sell less at the rip off place because of the high price so they can keep their iinventory longer. But you cannot trust these guys, you never know, I might have to wait longer at the rip-off place and be out 3k.
    I can wait. I am not in a hurry.

1. There are NO factory

1. There are NO factory orders for custom made cars. The factory builds X number cars each month, with a certain percentage in each option package, and a certain number in each color. these numbers are determined by the factory a YEAR in advance based on previous sales.

Cars are then sent sometimes to dealers, and sometimes to a central holding lot.

Dealers can find out via computer what cars came off the boat this week in what color or option package.

The dealer CANNOT order whatever he wants from the factory, he can only find an existing car (not yet spoken for) on some other dealer, or holding lot.

If you want lime-green prius in option package #3, the dealer can only look around, and tell you that you REALLY want the option package #5, because that may be the ONLY lime-green car available.

The dealer can put a "claim" on an unsold car, and have it shipped to his dealership.

But that is ALL the dealer can do for you.