+ Reply to Thread

New Hypermiler Technique

A new low speed (under 30mph) technique has been discovered in the FEH/MMH worth looking at. Combined with other known hypermiling techniques, people are reporting tank averages in excess of 50mpg. I've verified the new technique works great on 30mph speed limit roads and should work even better in the new '09 FEH/MMH at even higher speed roads.

Post 21 in the thread below describes the techniques:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...t=12811&page=3

This is a very safe and easy technique that you can maintain a steady speed going in and out of EV.

-Hey, guy, thanks for the

-Hey, guy, thanks for the Web Page!

-FYI, I heard a Prius owner had to replace his transaxle assembly after it was out of warranty and the repair cost was 8 thousand dollars! This makes me suspicious about any hints which involves playing around with the CV transmission, and this would include putting the car into neutral while coasting.

Maybe one reason the Prius

Maybe one reason the Prius owner had a problem was they cannot be flat towed. Ford has started flat towing in neutral since the '05 FEH came out. The owner's manual says the FEH can be safely towed in neutral up to 75mph with all wheels down.

The new Ford '09 6 speed automatic is now designed to be flat towed also. In the articles I've read that the new 6 speed automatic Ford designed so transmission fluid could circulate in the gears without a pump.

You can still use the technique without shifting to neutral at all also if you still have a concern.

Over two years ago I did a study and tested coasting in neutral in my '05 FEH. The only difference in coasting in "D" and "N" is regen. When you shift to "N", all regen is removed and therefor only the gears and electric traction motor turn freely. If the engine is running, the generator can still charge the battery over 6mph.

The tests I conducted was coasting from 40mph to a stop and compared the distances between "D" and "N". There was a 36% increase in coasting to a stop in "N". Since that time I've been coasting in "N" and have had no problems. My lifetime MPG is around 45mpg and coasting in "N" played a big part.