+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC died

AC died

My 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid's air conditioner broke. I have 53K miles....In order to fix it, per the Honda dealership, I have to replace the compressor, the clutch, the coil and the receiving dryer. Cost? $1500.. Honda said it would pitch in a bit since it still has low mileage and it got reduced to $1000. This is crazy. I understand that the A/C is a special gas saving design but the car only has 53K miles on it. I already had to replace the battery pack on it. Any comments on this? Is this price right?

The only thing I can say is that I had a Toyota Camry for 11 years and the ac could freeze you out all the way till the end. Granted it was built differently, I just can't say my Honda civic was built with any kind of quality. I really hope it doesn't turn into a lemon. I have only had it for 1 yr. and the above is what I have had to deal with so far...what else will happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi malderine. I would

Hi malderine.

I would suggest you get a second opinion from an alternate dealership. The price is just about right to get all those things addressed but you should make sure that you need all of those addressed for sure. When it comes to these things it helps to check twice before cutting your cheque once.

AC failures are very uncommon in these cars and while failures are not impossible, sometimes they occur as a result of improper use and other reasons (accidents and improper servicing, etc). The AC should be operated at least for 10 minutes every week even during the winter months. This will ensure that it will remain properly lubricated and reliable for many, many years.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hi MSantos, Thanks for

Hi MSantos,
    Thanks for your reply. I was told by the dealership that it was only the compressor that went bad but you cannot replace just the compressor. You must replace all 4 components (compressor, the clutch, the coil and the receiving dryer). I did find it odd that when I got my battery pack replaced last Nov. they tried to sell me a warranty and when I was told how much I was hesitant. Then she said, "well it's a good thing to have you never know, your ac might go out" Coincidence? hmm.. anyway, thank you for your suggestion, I will get a second opinion and keep you posted.
    M