+ Reply to Thread

2003 Civic - Instant Fuel Mileage display not working anymore

Hi,

I have a Honda Civic 2003 manual, 6 months ago I brought it to the dealer for regular maintenance. They told me they updated the software but I noticed that they forgot to reset the "maintenance required" light.

Today went to MIDAS to have Front break pads and oil changed, they also reseted the "maintenance required" light.

By doing that looks like they also turned off the "current fuel mileage display". So I read the manual and find out that supposedly to can turn on/off the current fuel mileage display by pressing 15 seconds the reset button with the key on position II. Well I tried everything with the MIDAS technician and nothing worked. The instant fuel mileage display won't come back up.

What do you guys think? May be the dealer did not updated the software properly last time, or they forgot to do something?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, I got addicted driving with the instant fuel indicator!

Thanks,
    -Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi Chris; Sorry to hear

Hi Chris;

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Hummm... I do not want to be an alarmist, but I do recall several Honda technical bulletins warning against the use of non-approved OBD-II tools for writing to the ECU and CAN aware subsystems. Reading is one thing, but writing is an entirely different ball game. The warning came as a result of others having reported issues similar to yours.

What does all this mean?

Well, things may go wrong and in some cases Honda may deny warranty coverage if damage can be attributable to the wrong tools or improper type of servicing. To the best of my knowledge, there are only a couple of non-Honda shops qualified and certified to offer complete Honda hybrid servicing in the whole of North America. And that means that taking it to a non-Honda shop for certain types of service is a fully qualified gamble.

I would suggest you take you car back to a good Honda dealer and do not mention you took it to an outsider shop. This way, maybe you'll have a more favorable outcome in case your warranty is still in effect.

Cheers and good luck;

MSantos

Hi MSantos, Thanks for your

Hi MSantos,

Thanks for your reply. But just to clarify the only service that MIDAS performed was an oil change and break pads.

They manually reseted the light by pressing 10 seconds the reset button, like it is instructed in the user manual (they even showed me their instruction sheet). No electronic device was involved.

Strangely enough the same procedure (pressing 10 seconds reset button) besides turning off the maintenance light is also used to turn on/off the instant mileage according to user manual. But in my case it just does not turn it back on.

Anyway I'll check with Honda what they say at next service.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone try to turn on/off the current fuel mileage display as instructed by user manual? (pressing 10 seconds reset button with key in position II)?

Thanks,
    -Chris

Hi Chris; My apologies for

Hi Chris;

My apologies for mis-reading you. Indeed they did it the right way and nothing bad should have come from it.

However, when you say that "it wont turn back on" do you mean that the "display is on but blank" or the display is simply "OFF" entirely?

You could also perform a brief power reset just to make sure the MICU or instrument cluster is not under some crash. To perform the power reset you need to disconnect the 12 battery for roughly 10 minutes and then go for a gentle drive until your SoC is fully restored. (You'll also need to enter the audio unit's anti theft code).
    If this power reset cannot re-initialize your display properly then you should indeed take it to Honda.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers;

MSantos

MSantos, that

MSantos, that worked!

Disconnected the 12 battery for 10 minutes and after that display came back on! (it was completely "OFF" before the disconnect).

Thank you very much for your good advice.

Best,
    -Chris

Glad to know it worked

Glad to know it worked Chris.

However, this means that the MICU or instrument cluster was under what we often call a "crash condition". More often than not, this condition is caused by a fluctuation (deficit) in the power supply levels which often indicate a weak or weakening 12V battery.

You may want to look into this just for giggles. Many shops will perform a battery test for free so it may be something you want to have checked at some point.

Cheers;

MSantos

I don't think that the

I don't think that the battery is weakening yet, it's only 2 years old and MIDAS just rated it at 533 CCA.

Hopefully that was just a temporary issue.

Thanks again,
    -Chris

Awesome... and happy FE

Awesome... and happy FE glidings ahead.

Cheers;

MSantos