+ Reply to Thread

Fuel efficient hybrids?

My 1991 Chevy Sprint is alive and still getting > 60 mpg (Canadian). I'd buy a hybrid if it could put out as little pollution - but the fact is that they're untried, unproven and there is nothing signif. better than my Sprint that'll carry my family.

It's sad!

It's about time that they took the Swift/Sprint design and revamped it - droped in a 5 to 10 hp biodiesel/LPG eternal combustion engine and a 30 to 40 hp electric and a SMALL battery pack. That would signif. reduce the weight, battery cost, pollution and fuel consumption.

I don't give a damm about acceleration. I remember VW Beetle and their 35 hp engines. My Sprint had excellent accelleration at 52hp as did Jetta diesels with 48hp. Give me something cleaner and better than what I was driving 10 to 15 years ago!

As long as they make high powered, pocket rockets that pollute I'll never touch a hybrid. You get high cost, unproven battery technology and likely expensive costs when the batteries go - esp. in winters like we have up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Praetzel View Post
    My 1991 Chevy Sprint is alive and still getting > 60 mpg (Canadian). I'd buy a hybrid if it could put out as little pollution - but the fact is that they're untried, unproven and there is nothing signif. better than my Sprint that'll carry my family.

It's sad!

It's about time that they took the Swift/Sprint design and revamped it - droped in a 5 to 10 hp biodiesel/LPG eternal combustion engine and a 30 to 40 hp electric and a SMALL battery pack. That would signif. reduce the weight, battery cost, pollution and fuel consumption.

I don't give a damm about acceleration. I remember VW Beetle and their 35 hp engines. My Sprint had excellent accelleration at 52hp as did Jetta diesels with 48hp. Give me something cleaner and better than what I was driving 10 to 15 years ago!

As long as they make high powered, pocket rockets that pollute I'll never touch a hybrid. You get high cost, unproven battery technology and likely expensive costs when the batteries go - esp. in winters like we have up here.
    Almost 2 years later and we're still waiting. Hybrids are good but why no improvement in fuel efficiency? I just don't get it.

Guess you're right!...

I can get a 5-litre/100 km off a fast and sporty BMW Diesel, with low emmissions, while a Toyota Prius is trotting around expensive Hybrid tech to achieve... worse, at 6 l/100km with the disadvantage of consumming gasoline and having some environmental-nasty batteries to dispose of at the end.
    Same for the better-looking, but equally anemic Honda Civic Hybrid, with 6.5 l/100 km.

This is not promising.

Looks like BMW fuel-efficient Diesels are the way to go. Considering a BMW with the 2 litre Diesel engine, at 204 HP!... rated avg. fuel consumption @ 6 or 6.5 litres/100 Km!...

Spoken like a dyed-in-the-wool European. While I certainly am not a fan of any hybrid on the market today because of their paltry performance (relative to what the electric drivetrain could provide) and their dependance upon oil, I will say that they are a step in the right direction. Better diesels are just better dinosaurs. You are still going to have to push their offspring in 100 years because there will be no energy supply for them.
    Hybrids, which use an electric drivetrain and batteries, offer the only long-term solution to our planet's transportation problems once all the oil is burned. The sooner we can get alternatives on the roads, the longer we'll have the remaining oil for use in applications that batteries and electric motors can't handle.
    Clearly, most of the continent of Europe does not agree with me on this topic, however.

Them dang unproven hybrids.

I still have a 2001 Prius. What's unproven about it? How many more years do I have to drive it to see if it works? I'm still getting 50 mpg. (That megabucks saved in gas!) When the need for the second family car came it was a 2007 Prius. 55 mpg with it and a LOT of hauling capacity.

I agree with the original

I agree with the original poster. If I can buy a car made in the late 80's that got more MPG than a modern hybrid why buy the more expensive car? I don't care how much I'm polluting. It comes down to the bottome line. My favorite ride is my motorcycle. 45-50 MPG and it spews more smog than my suv with a v-8. As far as the whole peak oil thing, by the timeoil runs out technoligy will have found a solution. Necessity is the mother of invention. During WWII we needed an atom bomb and guess what we built it.

AMEN! I'm getting 45mpg on

AMEN! I'm getting 45mpg on my 87 suzuki forza. I always wondered, What if they replaced the little engine with a yaris, echo or whatever engine? the lightweight chassis should make a HUGE difference in fuel consumption. or replace the carburetor with a motorcycle one.