+ Reply to Thread

If Walmart sold hybrids, would you buy one?

Read this blog article and thought it was interesting, if a little out there... would you buy an electric car from Walmart, knowing what you do about how they do business?

Does anyone want to take a bet that Walmart can manufacture and market an inexpensive electric car faster than GM can get the Volt ready for mass production? Didn't think so.

http://vlane.com/blogs_article/116/h...ow-performance

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Why would you not buy a

Why would you not buy a solid hybrid from Walmart? I think that to the *average* consumer, hybrids are a bit extravagant. For example, you can get a basic civic for like 16K but the hybrid version is out the door for about 10K more. Walmart is good at cutting costs SO if we can get a hybrid to cost about the same a normal car, most people would RUN and not walk or stutter over to wal-mart to buy a hybrid.

Interesting, but currently

Interesting, but currently hybrid in Australia is expensive. The camry due for 2009 will be in the vicinity of 33000 AUD$ that just over 30K US, lets not talk about the Prius.
    One question if batteries for a Prius cost $4500 AUD to replace on current models and have a life of 8 years what will a 8 year old prius be worth as a used vehicle?
    This is on the minds of consumers in Australia, unlike their US counterparts re sale of a vehicle is a high priority when buying new.
    If walmart or Kmart sold Hybrids 1. they will be selling at smallest margins 2. they would have plenty of stock 3 . they would definatley market the product if they could see a dollar in it.
    And think you could exchange it if you dont like the colour.

I think that would very

I think that would very interesting. Capitalism and globalism at work. On the other hand, Wal-mart is not in the car market, nor do I see it being so in the near, or even far off future.

I think the question is more

I think the question is more like this: why would anyone shop at Walmart knowing that through their business practices they have drove almost all small town businesses out of business? They purchase the majority of their products from countries that have few if any labor laws.

Why would anyone who has any conscious, and any concern for civil rights of workers everywhere purchase anything at Walmart?

Hmm.....all of the western

Hmm.....all of the western world.

: )

Us poor consumers appreciate it while the rich can harp all they want about poor labor practices. The bottom line, Wal-Mart is good for consumers.

Bryce, have you really

Bryce, have you really looked at what you said? It makes no sense. Walmart is responsible for more job losses in this country than any other corporation. How many mom and pop stores have had to close up due to the financial muscle Walmart has applied to the manufacturer to offer them lower wholesale prices than anyone one else? How many of the products sold at Walmart are made overseas in another labor market and then sold here? In a market where those jobs making said products would have balanced the economy rather than bleeding it dry?
    No offense Bryce, but you just don't see the big picture, your still acting like a corporation and looking at " your " bottom " line rather than the good of the community.

have you ever taken an

have you ever taken an economics class. Alright....here we go.

So, America used to be the workshop of the world, making everything from tee-shirts to cars to refrigerators to little toys. A while back, a few other countries in south east asia for example started to industrialize. We did not necesarily lose our ability to create, say, t-shirts and toys, but others have also gained that ability, and it is cheaper for them to do it. We still perform the production of larger things better than other countries, say for example, regrigerators and computers and construction equipment. So we still produce those things in industry leading numbers and quality. American firms can make more money making a refrigerator, than a simple t-shirt, so American industry focuses on that instead, and we leave the crappy labor intensive low technology job of making a t-shirt to a foreign company. We are still making money in our industries, able to actually pay our workers better because making refrigerators or microchips requires more training and expertise than t-shirts, and those same workers are now able to buy their t-shirts much cheaper, maximizing their purchasing power. Plus, 9 times out of 10, we own the company operating the t-shirt factory over in a given foreign coiuntry, so the profits come right back here.

Then guess what else happens? In those former 3rd world countries, a middle-class begins to emerge that purchases things just like we do, and guess what they are buying......AMERICAN PRODUCTS as well as their own. It becomes a world market with exchange back and forth. We saw this with Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and now it is happening before our very eyes in China. Guess who the biggest most profitable auto company in China is....GM. Next is Volkswagon and all the Japanese manufacturers come not after them.....but after all the Chinese automakers.

So....the lesson I guess I want to get across to you, and everyone else is.....WE DON'T MAKE SILLY LITTLE T-SHIRTS ANY MORE!!!!

We make cars and refirgerators and microchips. (and whatever else) We don't waste our resources on crappy little things that we were manufacturing when we were an emerging industrial state. That time has come and gone. Wal-mart provides cheap goods to a public wishing to maximize its buying power, like the smart consumers they are.

You my friend are the one not thinking about our community....and by that, I mean the world community. You would have us sit here and allow the worlds peoples to sit in poverty. Because of globalism, millions have been lifted out of poverty and starvation and now are living the high life of a middle class citizen.

Why are you so self centered to think that only we deserve this privelege???