+ Reply to Thread

Change for the worse in my civic hybrid

I have a 2006 civic hybrid that, until recently, have been very satisfied with the gas mileage. Even now, I don't have much to complain about compared to other cars. I was getting 46 -48 mpg or better on just about every fill up. I do mainly highway driving. I recently had the car into the dealer for an oil change. I then noticed after about a half tank that my mileage was not as good as normal. Normally, I go about 240 miles on half tank, but how am about 200 miles on half tank. The best I've done recently is between 43 and 44 mpg. Other than that the car runs fine. It occurred to me today that the dealer may have put regular motor oil in the car (30w) instead of the recommended 20w. Does anyone know if using the higher weight oil would affect my gas mileage to the tune of 3 to 6 miles per gallon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Absolutely and a BIG yes.

Absolutely and a BIG yes.

In fact, if the dealer used anything other than the recommended 0W20 oil you should be seeing a penalty that typically ranges from 10 to 15 MPG.

Also check your tire pressures and keep them at 40 psi or higher. The ideal pressure is at maximum tire pressure rating or a few Psi below it, and NOT what Honda printed on the door jamb sticker.

Cheers;

MSantos

yeah right tire pressure

yeah right tire pressure really affects the mpg of a car.
    so make sure you always keep a right tire pressure.
    also try checking Autopartswarehouse
    for more tips on how to increase your mpg.

0w30 and 0w20 synthetic are

0w30 and 0w20 synthetic are fine. I actually get better mileage with the 0w30. Most likely they let the air out of your tires. My only complaint is that I can not watch them change my oil like at Wal-Mart. So who knows what happens. 50% of the time they dump the whole 4 quarts into the crankcase (ARGH!). I have always used mobile#1 on all 4 hybrids and can tell the difference in milage between that and the Honda oil.
    And my very first Hybrid oil change they put the wrong oil in it because they did not stock the 0w20 in early 2003. Thats when I started brining my own oil. If you can get to know your mechanic that will help. Unfortunately that is not an option at my dealership. Might go back to my old one even though its a longer drive.

3-6 sounds about right BTW. Check your tires (40-42 PSI) and then bring your synthetic oil the next time.
    I run 45PSI in my 2003-4 since they have high 51PSI tires.