+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HONDA SERVICE BULLETIN 08-001

BACKGROUND: I took delivery of a 2006 HCH2 in October 2006 in San Antonio, TX. Odometer reads as of this date 6,300. Fuel economy is very good with lifetime average of 49MPG. In other posts in this forum there is information posted about bad tire wear affecting Civics.

DISCUSSION:
    1.I was able to obtain a copy of the Service Bulletin. In essence it states for dealer to inspect tires for unusual wear patterns, to include photos of type tire wear eligible for Service Bulletin. Bulletin states if tire wear not shown, then bulletin does not apply. If tire wear has happened, bulletin goes on to state install new upper rear control arms and new flanges; then perform four wheel alignment IAW specifications in bulletin.

2. Contacted dealer and explained it made no sense to me to wait for tires to be ruined before Service Bulletin comes into play. The dealer's District Parts and Service Manager (DPSM) finally said to my dealer the following-- do four wheel alignment first and if alignment IAW service bulletin specifications, consider service bulletin satisfied. Of course, alignment could not be done by specifcations. Dealer then ordered parts, installed them, and did four wheel alignment. Cumbersome and time consuming approach, but success achieved at no cost to me, and tires not ruined.

CONCLUSION:

1. This bulletin applies to all 2006 and 2007 Honda Civics, not just Hybrids. Certain low density production Civic models are not covered by this Bulletin.

2. I have electronic version of Bulletin in PDF. If you want copy, please send an e-mail to me at william.kehoe.thompson@us.army.mil. I will send to you along with some other information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

i sent you an email thanks

i sent you an email
    thanks for the info.
    very helpful
    also try checking articles like these at
    Autopartswarehouse.

Printed this out and took it

Printed this out and took it in and at first they said unless the tires were worn significantly they would not do it. When I picked up the car they had replaced both upper arms and did a 4 wheel alignment. The tires did not have a serious wear pattern on them so the noise complaint did the trick for me. The dealer did me right on this one.

Now I am debating on whether to rotate and balance at Wal-Mart/SAMs. I am concerned it might move my noise to the front of the car. Anyone have some first hand experience with this?

Help!

William, your e-mail does

William, your e-mail does not work man!

etp

Update, went to SAMS and did

Update, went to SAMS and did a rotate and balance and the rear tires wobbled on the front. So I bought two Goodrich same size but a little taller in the profile and will try them 30 days to see how the mileage goes and put them on the back if the mileage drops. Normally I would say never get another tire but the original but the dealer was out as well as SAMS and I needed tires. ARGH!
    Wondering if I should replace the shocks in the rear with some gas double action!

I have gone thru this issue

I have gone thru this issue at 29K miles. Took it in to the dealer because of whirling noise from the wheel. They took a look and addressed that it was due to the SB 08-001 but would only offer to cover the warranty items but not the tires. BTW, they wanted me to replace all 4 tires. I paid infoming them that I will contact Honda and also the BBB in regards to this. I have been in touch w/ BBB the past couple of weeks. Honda has offered to pay 50% of the cost of the tires w/ a signed Release letter. I am considering their offer, but I do not believe this is right. I plan on asking a lawyer if this is fair. I do believe that if i had driven the car for another couple of thousand miles, the tire would have blown w/ serious hazard to the driver of the car at the time. For those asking, I had not rotated the tires prior to my 29k visit to Honda. The reason I had discovered the problem was a visit to a local mechanic who was going to perform the tire rotation when he advised in regards to the severe tire wear on the Rear/Left tire.

Touring TA pro series

Touring TA pro series 195/65R15/ Goodrich made by Mich. Outsatnding tires.

Made in Romania.

My mileage went up a little plus these are taller tires, so a double bonus.

Tirerack and discount tires has these also.

wheee.. my first post

wheee.. my first post here...
    hello to everyone

I had an accident a few

I had an accident a few years ago due to my tireís not being compressed properly and went to court with a dallas personal injury lawyers to get some compensation. Iím glad to see there are better checking procedures now.

please send bulletin 08-001

please send bulletin 08-001 and any other material you may have about upper control arms and bad gas milage.
    I surely have a problem, milage was 50+ now36.
    thanks
    wm s burns.