+ Reply to Thread

winter driving in NAH

Am confused by all the posts on winter driving. some say great, others say terrible. Have not had my NAH out in bad weather yet, but seems like it should not be as good as my other front wheel drive vehicles have been because of the batteries in the back shift some of the weight off the front wheels.This should affect traction and performance in snow and ice. Does anyone know the front to back wheel weight ratio of hybrids compared to regular gas vehicles with all the weight over the front wheels?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

it's obviously a bit more

it's obviously a bit more balanced for weight distribution. I don't remember if I ever saw any numbers on what the actual distribution was for the Altima.

I think the NAH would be better once I change the tires, the stock Conti's are horrible

NAH - Going up long hilly

NAH -
    Going up long hilly driveway, or when on icy & snowy roads, the traction control pretty much keeps the car from going forward. There is no way to shut the traction control off in those situations.

I believe that the weight distribution is similar to most front wheel drive cars, and that helps in snow generally.

My driveway is unusual here in PA, and most would not encounter such troubles.

With 30000 miles on it, maybe I am due for some new tires this year sometime. I am not sure if the Continentals are good or bad.

My question has been

My question has been answered. My NAH got stuck 3 times in our daughter's rural driveway after a snow storm - even after it had been snow blowed. Her Kia Spectra (!) walked right out with nary a hitch. Guess the shifting of weight from the front made a big difference. Next year it's snows all around. We have lots of snowy weather here in upstate NY from Dec to March.