+ Reply to Thread

Help with a tech issue on the NAH

My NAH has been acting wierd for the last three weeks. I guess I'm trying to see if anyone here has experienced the same issue because my dealer is clueless and of course it won't do it on the days I've taken it to them.

- When coasting down a hill, 3/4 battery charge, car warmed up, going well less than 42 MPH, the car will switch every 2 seconds between EV mode and the gas engine. Also, the car's brake won't work as well and the car lurches pretty badly. Street is smooth and the temps here are now 75-95 during the day. It's only done this about 3 times in the past three weeks. (dealer states this is normal, but I've had the car for over a year and this isn't normal)

- Recently the battery charge indicator on the left of the dash won't go very far into the blue charge area. In fact, exiting a hwy and getting on the brakes that used to bury the needle fully into the charge area, now barely moves the needle. It does this about every three days.

- The VDC light comes on and stays on for a few miles every once in a while. When the VDC light is on, I am experiencing the second problem above, but the VDC light isn't always on when this problem is happening.

- Gas mileage has decreased from mid 30's to upper 20's unless I have mostly hwy driving. No change in driving habits. We've had the car for over a year and driven in similar weather and it's never been even close to this low.

Thanks for looking and giving any imput you have.

Also, does anyone have any contact for Nissan corporate to see if maybe they have an answer. All my dealer knows how to do is hook it up to the computer and since there aren't any error codes, they say everything is normal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

that does sound weird. i

that does sound weird. i think the VDC is your problem. i find that the battery refuses to charge any time there is a "slip" and ABS/TCS needs to come on. it also doesn't charge as much when it's really really hot.

i would go to the dealer and tell them the VDC light turns on and stays on. take a video of it so that you don't get the "can't replicate problem". probably ask them if they can reflash the computer if they can't do anything else and see what happens

I also have the same problem

I also have the same problem :

"- Recently the battery charge indicator on the left of the dash won't go very far into the blue charge area. In fact, exiting a hwy and getting on the brakes that used to bury the needle fully into the charge area, now barely moves the needle. It does this about every three days."

The morning commute was fine, however, when I went out to lunch, the brake charge meter does exactly what is explained here. In addition, the outside temp was 82 F, battery state of charge was at the mid point in the blue region.

cptcmpost, I was wondering if you ever resolved this problem.

Duy, your car is acting as

Duy, your car is acting as it should. Your HV battery is simply too warm. After sitting for hours in 80+ weather, the interior was probably much warmer. So I imagine you put on the A/C, which draws more power from the HV battery. When you draw current from a battery, they get hot. Same thing happens when you recharge them. When the battery temp in the Altima rises, the computer begins to restrict the amount of current which can be drawn, and replaced. The first symptom of this happening is you lose regenerative breaking (either all, or some of it).

The HV battery in the Altima is cooled from a vent in the rear window. Not a great design if you ask me. There are few places in the car that will get hotter than this area.

I would consider parking in a shaded area if possible, it actually helps quite a bit in my experiences. If you live in a very hot climate, you may want to see about fitting a small 12V electric fan in the duct which cools the battery.

steved28 read your reply

steved28 read your reply about regenerative braking problem with it getting to hot,before i get into it with nissan i am having the same problem .......but this is my second summer i own a 2009 NAH and the charging indacator just started to show lose of regenerative braking so i was wondering why i didn"t have the problem last summer,,same outside temp and same driving habits .