+ Reply to Thread

Thread: summer gas

summer gas

My Mpg's have gone down. I am running the a/c some, but 43 on computer down from 47 seems a lot
    for just the a/c. What about the addition of summer blend gas and a/c?

Should I be concerned? First high temps with car, got it in Nov 07, now with 15,000 miles

Thanks
    Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi Brian: Yes, depending on

Hi Brian:

Yes, depending on *how* you use the AC it can really tank your FE for sure.

I would suggest you use a bit of strategy when using the AC if you wish to minimize the FE loss. You can try this and see if it works for you:

- Open the doors for a few moments if the car's been parked in the sun.
    - Gently drive off with the windows open for a few short moments until you begin to pick up some speed.
    - Set the climate control to Auto, point the blower direction to top venting and set the temperature to a higher temperature. Something like 80 or higher will do.
    - Make sure you close the windows and as soon as the blower fan slows down, lower the temperature by another degree.
    - Keep lowering the temperature every time the fan slows down a bit until you are comfortable. You'll notice that the comfort zone is found at a higher temperature setting than what most people feel tempted to set initially.

What this strategy does is to keep the AC compressor in electric only mode for the longest time possible. If you don't do it this (or similar) way then the belt driven part of the AC compressor will be active and sinking your FE at a MUCH faster rate.

Cheers;

MSantos

Fuel mixtures/quality are

Fuel mixtures/quality are different in the summer and yes all 4 of my Hybrids get worse mileage even with the AC off in the summer. Cold dense air will always give you better mieage. But the winter grade of fuel does has something unique about it. Also try a different service staion with no ethynol in the fuel if you can find it.

I always thought summer

I always thought summer blends were better along with warmer temps if you avoid usiing the A/C. In the winter time my FE always drops and your car will always get less mpg when it is cold starting out versus warmed up. I am sure someone will correct me on this one. As for Ethanol, depending on where you are at, some places now mandate it and don't necessarily have to label it as so, while many do require labeling and don't mandate its use. But at all possible avoid fuels with it in it, because you will get less mpg and pay the same for it.

Msantos is very informative in the workings of the A/C in HCH but for those that want to strive for more here are a few rules for staying cool the old fashion way.
    * All windows up and no A/C gives the best results across all speed ranges -- for the brave soul who can tolerate it.
    * Two diagonally opposed windows 1" down is next best, and might be tolerated by some at high speeds.
    * Two diagonally opposed windows halfway down is superior to A/C at speeds below the low 50s.
    * All windows down is superior to A/C below 40 MPH.

Thanks For the first time

Thanks

For the first time since I filled up I was able to hit 45 mpg again 350 miles into the tank.

It must be the summer and the gas. I stopped using the a/c and the mpg when to 45 in short order.

Thanks
    Brian

MSantos: Thanks for the

MSantos:

Thanks for the suggestions for improving FE with the a/c on. It's been unbearably warm here in SoCal with temps into the 110s. Luckily I live near the ocean and it has only been into the 90s.

I regularly achieve 50 mpg on driving lessons with teenagers with the windows down on comfortable days. However, with the a/c on, I get anywhere from 35-37 mpg, a very significant decrease. As you could imagine, I rarely use the a/c for this reason.

The past two days I have had no choice as it is just too warm. Yesterday I taught a lesson with the a/c on and only could muster 37.1 mpg. Today, I taught a lesson, drove the same route at the same time of day with the temperature slightly warmer, and achieved 42.7 mpg by following your guidelines. I had the a/c set on automatic at 76-78 degrees.

It is still a 20% decrease from driving without the a/c on, but I can deal with that considering the outside temperatures.

Thanks for sharing the tarabell article and your knowledge of FE with a/c. This information should be shared with all HCH owners so that they understand how to drive and achieve maximum FE.

My 2003 HCH gets HORRIBLE

My 2003 HCH gets HORRIBLE gas mileage in the winter (Chicago) due to the frigid temperatures and the extra friction due to ice/snow and salted roads.

Winter can be from 30-43 mpg

Summertime usually 45-55

I rarely use A/C. I had no idea that summer gas was worse or that Hybrids potentially get worse mpg in the summer. Interesting, I'm glad I saw this.