+ Reply to Thread

Are You Aware of This? HAH is a V6 ??

Many people are complaining that the Honda Accord Hybrid does not get high MPG usage numbers.

As a future hybrid owner and currently debating between the Honda Accord Hybrid or Toyota Camry Hybrid, I am questioning the following:

Is everyone aware that the HAH has a V-6 engine and the Toyota Camry Hybrid is a 4-Cylinder?

I only ask because I was not aware of this, per se. I pulled the spec sheets and did a little fine print reading. For a V-6 to still have the performance of a sporty sedan and offer increased fuel savings is for me a huge incentive to buy this vehicle.

Now I know that it is horribly expensive. That goes without saying, but I think it simple boils down to individual perference and driving styles.

I perfer the sportier, more responsive car. Always have and always will. But, with this new Honda you get an increased savings in fuel consumption and the highest level of low emission vehicle standards currently available. This car averages 25 miles per gallon in the city and 34 miles per gallon highway with a V-6 engine and luxe accomdations. And while you are tooling away on the road, you can be assured that the environment is doing better too, because you have a California Phase TT Low Emission system, AT-PEZ installed. Which has near-zero evaporative emissions and a 15 year / 150,000 mile warranty on its emissions equipment.

Golly, saving fuel and not harming the environment, while riding luxe in a sweet, sporty car! Sign me up!!

I only wanted to point this out to y'all and hopefully make you see what the postives are to owning a hybrid.

I currently own a 1997 Kia and I get 24 miles to the gallon in the city and 27 miles to the gallon the highway. Haven't checked on the emissions system, but I can bet they went cheap on what was installed. And luxe accomadations? Forget about it!!

What is my point? It is simply this: when I bought my first two cars it was less about being green and all about what I could afford.

Now, I can afford more and also weigh the impact that I make on the enviroment.

For me, having a HAH and fueling up less, while still styling about town in an affordable car is a great option. At let's be honest, I know American's are cheap, but $35,000.00, plus for a new car is really inexpenisve and we know it.

If you look carefully at the specifications for the HAH and TCH and within yourself, as to how much of an impact you want to have on the environment, the cost of having these types of cars can easily be justified.

As we all know, if you simply wanted a small sedan with a hybrid feature, you got the Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid.

But let me tell you, as a owner of a small sedan and 5'9.5 inches tall this time when I buy, I want to get something that will age gracefully with me and remain comfortable during many years of use.

If you are wondering why I have not purchased a HAH yet, I am waiting to see what new options they add or adjust for the 2008 model.

But, you never know, it's a long, holiday weekend and I may stop by the dealership and take a look see.

Ciao!!

Are You Aware of This? HAH is a V6 ??

Funnygirl you can likely average around 30MPG with the Accord Hybrid
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/m...da-accord.html

Some are pushing almost 40.

The camry is also going to be added to that database...hopefully soon.

We all have our wants and needs but I'll note that I'm 6'2" tall and ~230lbs and don't mind even the Civic at all.
    But I think it would get uncomfortable for myself in a long road trip. (Our other vehicle is a Grand Caravan)

I don't know what the Camry does but the Accord Hybrid has a very impressive 6.5s 0-60MPH.
    But don't be looking at 30MPG doing that too much!
    :-)

Funnygirl75, I have a 2007 Passat wagon with the 2.0T turbocharged engine, with 200 hp, a wide flat torque band that peaks at 207 lb-ft from 1800 to 5000 rpm, and a six-speed manual transmission. In addition to the practicality of a wagon, it goes like stink and handles like a European car should. Acceleration is 0-60 in 6.9 to 7.5 seconds (depending on whose test you use), which is plenty fast for me anyway.

Without any kind of hybrid drivetrain, I average 30 mpg and get 34-35 mpg on the highway, driving at around 60-65 mph on the highway. I paid $33k for the car in Canada (HAH is about $38k), mind you I got one of the more basic packages without sunroof. The car is otherwise very well equipped, including stability control, trip computer, electric everything (including tailgate), 6-CD, iPod adapter, and many more too numerous to note. It is also classified ULEV for emissions. Only downside is the need for premium fuel. I think the HAH was a mistake. Most people see a hybrid as a means to save on fuel costs. Mating the hybrid drivetrain to the already very efficient Accord 4-cyl would have been a much better idea IMHO.

I used to get 45MPG in my

I used to get 45MPG in my old Toyota Corolla