+ Reply to Thread

2003 Model: Car Makes Noise on Turning Off

I just bought a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, and so far I love it. It was used, with 59K miles on it, but it drives like a new car. I have been regularly getting 47+ miles to the gallon and on my more recent trips I've gotten 48+. I have one "problem", which might not be a problem, but I read the owner's manual and couldn't find anything about it. I wanted to check with other people who own the car to figure out what's going on, and if it's something I need to do anything about.

When I turn the engine off, I'd say about 1 times out of 4, some sort of thing stays running under the engine after I turn the car off. The one time, I wondered if it would go off on its own, and I waited 10 minutes and it didn't. I've found that whenever this happens, I can start the car and stop it, and the noise immediately ceases.

I want to find out--what is going on? What's making the noise...and is it something bad? Is it going to wear something out or drain the battery if I leave it going, or am I supposed to leave it going (like is it recharging the battery or doing something else positive?).

If anyone has experienced this situation and has any insight into what is going on and what I should do about it, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Does it sound like a fan

Does it sound like a fan running?

I was freaked out at first

I was freaked out at first when I bought my 2003 HCH. I'd turn it off and it sounded like it was still running. A few times I had to check to see if I left the keys in it. Then I just deduced that it was some kind of technology that was cooling itself down and I didn't worry about it. It only happens when the car is hot... right? That's why it may only happen 1 out of 4 times. If you do a short errand it generally isn't warm enough to need to cool itself off afterwards. Unless it summer. And in the winter I can go for a hundred miles and stop and it still wont put the fan on because the air is so cold it doesn't need to.

I'd be more worried about your transmission. I had 60k on my 2003 HCH and I noticed a shuddering sound when I'd go from "Auto Stop" to driving. And it would kinda hesitate. If that happens EVER take it in RIGHT AWAY!! There's a service bulletin for our engine (2003-2005). They SUCK and honda is required to fix them for free. Up to 100,000 miles. But after that they are really expensive and need to be replaced WAAAY more than they should for honda parts. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have bought a HCH. (Mine is on the 5th time at the dealership to "fix" the transmission and it's only at 80,000 miles. This time I demanded a new one and a loaner car while they figure out how to ACTUALLY fix it, not just patch it up.)

Good luck with yours.

Do a LOT of research so that the dealer doesn't screw you on service. The new generation ones like ares have lots of little problems with them, and they will try to get out of helping you until your warranty is over- hopefully you have one!! I felt like a fool paying 1,300 for mine, but it's already paid for itself!!!!

I've had my 03 HCH since I

I've had my 03 HCH since I bought it new, and it often leaves some fan running in the engine area after a longer drive. It usually shuts off after a minute or so.

Occasionally people have commented to me that my car is still on when in fact it is not.

I've always assumed that this is normal behavior for this car to cool down some of the hybrid components. But you are right, the owner's manual doesn't say anything about it.

Hi. I also have just a 2005

Hi.
    I also have just a 2005 IMA, and yes, sometime after a ride the right FAN is start running, after i remove the key.
    So this sounds that Iam not the opnly one with this behavior. :-)

The manual is not telling anything about this, strange.

regards
    Wik

Thanks for the replies. The

Thanks for the replies. The sound does sound like a fan. Glad to hear it's nothing serious. I'll check to see if it happens more when it is hot.

I haven't noticed any problems with the acceleration. It drives a bit like a "grandma car" but that's one reason I bought it...I don't like cars that are touchy on the acceleration and it feels a lot like my last car, an '85 volvo stationwagon. The acceleration is very smooth...I can feel exactly when the motor kicks in.

I am a bit concerned about possible transmission problems. The only problem I have noticed is that if I am stopped and I immediately press the accelerator, it sometimes is sluggish to respond. If I allow it a short moment (less than a second) to start the engine again, however, the acceleration is seamless when it starts.

How can I know if I have a problem with the transmission? Also, we bought this car from a used car dealer...would the transmission still be under warranty and could we take it back to a regular dealer to work on it?

Also, if it helps, before buying the car I had a mechanic (not a dealer) who has experience working on this model of car check out the car, and he said there was nothing wrong with the transmission.