+ Reply to Thread

Energy flow display

I drove my new NAH home from the dealership on Tuesday, so I'm still getting used to things. One thing that is just beyond me, however, is the Energy Flow Display. I'm talking about the display on the Nav screen, not the gauge on the left of the driver's console. I just don't understand what this thing is telling me, and am hoping that someone can explain it clearly. The Nissan manual doesn't have much to say.

It is clear that the gas engine, electric motor, and battery are all represented on the display. At one point I thought it was as simple as "blue lines are charging power, white lines are storing power" but it isn't that simple. The lines seem to have direction to them - the graphic has a little mark on it that "flows" in a particular direction - presumably to indicate the direction that power is flowing, but it doesn't seem to change as I manipulate the throttle to influence it. Certain lines light up and turn off, but they always seem to be flowing the same direction. Of course, I am also trying to drive the car, so I can't pay 100% attention to the display!

Does anyone have a good explanation of how this display works?

Thanks,

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I think pretty much, blue

I think pretty much, blue means charging, white means power is being used to drive the wheels. The lines that light up are the sources that are being used/recharged.

i think you just misunderstood what the white colors represents

white = energy out (to wheels or electric motor)
    blue = energy in (to battery via electric motor)

After driving the care for

After driving the care for two weeks everything is beginning to make a bit more sense. The documentation is pretty limited, but I think I understand now.

Thanks,

Dan

I've also had mine for two

I've also had mine for two weeks and been playing with the energy flow display.

The blue lines show energy that is being generated. The hybrids generate energy from the gas engine and the regenerative brakes. While you're cruising you'll often see the gas engine feeding the electric motor, which in turn feeds the battery, and when you are slowing down you'll see the regenerative brakes kick in.

The white lines show energy that is being used, so you'll see that flowing from the both motors to the wheels as well as from the battery to the electric motor.

The speed of the decisions it makes surprised me. It constantly flips back and forth.

I am so sad for the base

I am so sad for the base model of altima hybrid that does not have the flow screen which is only available in the higher trim.

How about camry hybrid? do it have that flow screen in all trims?