+ Reply to Thread

HCH Should I get one

Hey MSantos I have been reading alot of the things talked about on this page and I have come to the conclusion that you know alot about Hybrids ie the HCH and Prius. Now here is my problem Im a student at UCSD and i live about 25 miles away from campus and I drive all Freeway to get to School. So a 50 mile round trip. My current car is 2001 Honda Accord but I think its time to go Hybrid so my brother can get my car and my DAD wants to get me a Hybrid. Now i love Honda SO I really like The HCH and im waiting on Corporate Honda to approve my DAD's credit and the Car is Arriving June 17 2008. DO you think I should wait Or get the car I test drove it already and I love it Drives really great. Do you think I will have some of the similar problems other people are having like low mpgs after some time period of anything like that. What im asking you is do you think im making a good investment.,
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi SoCalPunk33: The Civic

Hi SoCalPunk33:

The Civic Hybrid will always reward its owner better than a regular Civic can ever hope for. The question however, is how much of a reward do you want it to give you?

Here's my answer:
    If you are willing to learn to use the car's features and become a better and safer driver then the Civic Hybrid will be one of the two most rewarding cars you can get at the moment and in the immediate future (The Prius is the other).

Regarding low mileage claims (with any hybrid):

At the exception of one or two cases (where a failure is identified), most of the folks who fail the achieve and surpass the advertised fuel economy neither did their homework nor are they able or willing to make the changes to their driving attitude. So not surprisingly, they are not happy with the low mileage.
    Again, it is worth emphasizing that while there's a break-in period for the car there's also a longer and deeper break-in for its owner. If the second does not happen then the first is almost irrelevant.

Should you get the car now or wait?

If you are lucky enough to find the color you want and at a good price at a dealer near you then you cannot go wrong with the HCH. Honda is experiencing serious shortages in supply and even though they've been cranking up the production, many dealers have pretty long waiting lists with significant mark-ups added to the MSRP pricing.
    Since the gas prices are likely to keep increasing, the supply for these cars will only get worse - at least until Honda releases their next high volume hybrid. So if you have to get one, get it now if you find one for a good price or wait until the fall of 2009 at the earliest.

Good Luck;

MSantos

Well thank you so much for

Well thank you so much for all your help the thing is im friends with one of the guys that works at the dealershipo so He is holding an 08 HCH for me so im really excited about that and it arrives June 17 all im waiting for is Corporate Honda to approve the credit thing. On top of that I am very willing to learn and change my driving styles. I have been practicing for 2 months now using cruise control driving freeway 65-70 mph. In the city i drive the speed limit and i dont push my car to accelerate to fast I just let it go with the flow you can say. IT is safe to say that im getting use to driving like this now it just feels natural. Is there a site where i can learn more about how to drive the car in order to achieve maximum mpg

Thank You

Yes, there is such a site

Yes, there is such a site and you are welcome to visit us there. Please introduce yourself and ask anything you like (no matter how complex).

www.cleanMPG.com

Also once there I suggest you read Tarabell's article on the HCH-II. Consider this the HCH-2 bible that will enable you to see the light...

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Cheers;

MSantos

MSantos knows his stuff

MSantos knows his stuff SoCal. I purchased an HCHII becuase of him and I can tell you that everything he says is 100% correct.

I am in the southwest and I have a similar commute. My to-date MPG is 48. Be warned though, if you go to Wayne's cleanmpg site your days of 65-70 MPH are over. You will start to have a different kind of fun while driving, watching those MPG's.

THank you so much guys you

THank you so much guys you have really helped me out. Yeah I can tell that MSANtos know alot about the hybrid cars he is the reason i joined the forum. TO be honest its my first forum I have ever joined thats funny. Any way if i have more questions i will ask. When i do get the car in like 20 days I will let you know

Thanks