+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Self Maintenance

I am brand new here so I apologize now for asking questions or for info that has probably been asked 1000 times already.

I have an '05 HCH that I bought used 4 weeks ago with 28,000 miles on it. The car is great and runs fine. I got 53.3 mpg coming to work this morning. Would someone please address these items?

1. How hard is it to change the engine oil and CVT fluid at home myself? Does the car have to be on a lift?

2. Do I need to buy a new washer each time I change the oil filter?

3. What kind of oil filter do I need? Can I get it from an auto parts store?

4. Where is the CVT drain plug? The book doesn't show it.

5. Where can I find info on driving tips to increase my mpg?

Thanks,
    Beezak

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

FIrst of all congradulations

FIrst of all congradulations on your purchase. I bought my 05 HCH in March of this year.
    I can't help you on the CVT questions because I have a manual tranny, but here is a link about changing the oil.
    http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1879497

This is what I use for oil and the filters are what is recommended on the Mobil website, Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Oil
    Filter matches for the vehicle you selected:
    Mobil 1 Model M1110
    Champion Model PH2867
    Fram Model PH7317
    You can also purchase the Honda filter and oil directly from the dealer it you want to go that way.

Normally this is where I would direct you to at least 2 great articles over on www.cleanmpg.com but they are having server problems right now with so many new people so will tell you check over there when that clears up but there is also a pretty good article here at:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving...ic-hybrid.html
    Just looking at it briefly I only really disagree with the comment about using cruise control whenever possible. Unless you are driving on mostly flat land you can always do better with your foot.

Big three for best fuel efficiency is:
    Up your tire pressure to max sidewall pressure, hopefully your HCH still has a LRR tire on them.

Slower is better, try to stay under 65 mph on any highway. I never go over 55mph anymore unless going downhill.

As Wayne says, drive hills like a roller coaster, don't be afraid to lose a little speed going up and let gravity give you a hand coasting down.

Good luck

Thanks so much HemiSync for

Thanks so much HemiSync for your reply.

I drive 90 miles one way to work (sounds nuts but only 3 years left till retirement). Mostly interstate. I changed my driving habits as soon as I got the car. I coast a lot, drive like I have no brakes, I do use cruise though, I never go over 64 on the interstate, the tire pressure is at 40 on all 4, draft other vehicles and big trucks and don't use AC until I am almost well done , and I get between 48-53. I want to get more than that and am investigating how to do that. I will check out the links you sent for sure.

Hi Beezak: I hope you don't

Hi Beezak:

I hope you don't mind if I answer your question here instead of replying to your PM.

HemiSynch pretty much answered the questions regarding regular maintenance. I'll try to give you an answer for the remaining item.

RE: CVT
    Since the vehicle has 28,000+ miles I would look into having the CVT fluid replacement done at a dealership. The reason why I say this is because maintaining the CVT competently involves more than a simple fluid replacement. In essence this type of maintenance has to be performed at least every two years or more frequently depending on the mileage accumulated. I would suggest you have them do the CVT fluid change every 32000 miles or more frequently if the operational duty justifies it (cold weather and frequent urban driving).

A dealership may elect to fill it and empty it twice or three times in order to ensure that it meets the criteria and unless you buy 2 or three iterations of the fluid this is something you will not do. The Gen 1 CVT's are VERY sensitive to HCVT fluid break-down and it is critical that you do not penny pinch in this area as it may end-up costing you a lot more in the not so distant future.
    They may also apply a PCM (and other) software updates as part of that strategy and this is something that most owners neither know about nor can they perform competently.

Also, Honda's CVT fluid is the only fluid you can use on your vehicle. This pretty much means you have to acquire it from a local dealer or an online parts retailer. Prices may vary and so will the hassle factor in making sure you not only get the right stuff but also the latest. Honda has re-formulated their CVT fluid several times over the years.

Lastly, I would suggest you purchase the Shop Manual for your car. Especially, if you are planning on doing SOME of the maintenance on it. What this will do is show you how to do things right, in the right sequence and why they are done in that way. Additionally, it will also give you much insight as to when it is definitely above your head... and it is in your best interest to take it in. Since it is a 2005 and low miles, it should still have a fair amount of warranty coverage on so I suspect it is still a jewel of car and in great shape.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks for your reply. I

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your time.

The car is a jewel. The car is white with tan interior. No door dings, scratches, etc. I don't think anyone ever rode in the passenger or back seats. It runs tip-top. I got 56.3 mpg going to work yesterday.

Back to the subject. I definitely want to properly maintain this new investment I have made in the HCH. 4 questions.

1. How can I ensure that the dealer will properly change the CVT fluid 3 times instead of cheating me and worse not servicing the CVT appropriately?

2. what would be an approritae cost for this service?

3. Where can I buy the shop manual?

4. How can I tell if I have LRR tires on it now? I think the brand on it now is Konuko tires (not quite sure of the spelling).

Thanks.
    Beezak

Excellent. :) My answers to

Excellent.

My answers to your questions:
    1- Under normal circumstances a dealers will only fill the CVT fluid once. However, if they see any degradation or signs that it should be "flushed" and refilled once or twice more then they may elect for that approach. In fact, this happens to be an intermediate procedure resembling a standard "CVT burnish". Some dealers, (the better ones) will let you know before performing this procedure and will request your consent. How do you know you are not being ripped off? Well, I suggest you keep an eye on them and watch for discrepancies and other tell-tale signs of greed and unprofessional behavior or recommendations. Ask here before agreeing to anything if you wish.

2- It varies, but I suspect is should be priced close to $100 or less ( if all else is reported as normal).

3- You can buy the shop manuals here:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

4- This one I cannot answer very well. You could do a search on the web especially if you can match the name and the tire model designation. A good tire shop may help you, as well as the folks at TireRack:
    http://www.tirerack.com

However, judging from the mileage figures you report I would say the tires are pretty close to LRR if not that already.

Cheers;

MSantos

Beezak, Regarding "Does the

Beezak,

Regarding "Does the car have to be on a lift", I'd say *almost*. That is assuming it has the plastic aerodynamic panels on the underside, similar to our '06. I recently did a transmission fluid change myself. While I usually do my own fluid changes with previous Honda's we've had, with our hybrid I'd left everything to the dealership till now.

Unless you totally remove the under panel, and instead just swing down the front portion at it's hinge, the car needs to be fairly high to get it out of the way. I just squeezed through, doing the tran fluid change with the car jacked and on safety stands, but for oil change with filter changed as well, another 6" lift would be almost a necessity, for practical access.

With tran fluid change, read the manual's instruction thru carefully, regarding how to check levels. Bottom line (I believe), a final check with the engine *hot*, just after shut down, is the definitive way to check levels.

One other thing, check the manual: oil filter is *only* spec'd to be changed at every other oil change.

For anyone changing their

For anyone changing their oil & filter this month. Advanced Auto has a special going for all month, $26.88 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil & filter. That comes out to 5.38 a quart, which about what I pay for it at wallyworld and the filter for free, normall about $10. I know Honda charges over $7 a quart. So it is a good deal. I went ahead and bought 2 of them and have plenty for 3 oil changes since you only change the filter every other time.

I have a new 2008 HCHII with

I have a new 2008 HCHII with about 6000 miles and will need to change the oil in a month or so. After looking over this site and the afore mentioned MPG site, I have been getting over 50mpg regularly. (Thanks to all who contributed with tips, etc.) I have the extended warranty and don't want to jeopardize my coverage. However, I am aways from the dealer and I want to keep the costs low. I am used to performing maintenance on vehicles and have performed or helped with, nearly everything possible over the years. For the first oil change and every other that doesn't require a filter change, I was wondering if anyone can tell me why I shouldn't use a "Big Boy Topsider" I bought for an inboard boat I used to own. I have used this "sucker can" before and it seems to suck all of the oil up just fine through the filler tube. This eliminates any problem with the cover removal underneath.
    Thanks in advance, for any feedback anyone may have.

For brand-new, first

For brand-new, first service, I would let Honda do it. Personally, and even though I did a lot of this sort of thing in the past, I would let Honda do it at least for the duration of the warranty. With the Maintenance Minder, it really brings the interval back to reality.

One thing, at least in our area, dealers tend to doggedly stick to changing filter at *every* oil change. This is contrary to the manual and Maintenance Minder, but you really have to stick to your guns.

One benefit of dealer service: there may be bulletins and software updates they will act on. Plus, it's good for the "paper trail".