+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dash Display Dead With Headlights On

The dash display (speedomoter, odometer, gear indicator, etc.) just stopped working last night when I put my headlights on. When I turn the headlights off, the display works normally. Anyone else run across this? I know I have to take it in, but I have to wait until the holiday weekend is over.

Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The above car is a 1-month

The above car is a 1-month old 2008, by the way.

Display has "day" and

Display has "day" and "night" brightness settings.

Is the "night" display setting set to zero brightness level?

Check the little wheel to the left of the steering wheel.

Thank you much! That's what

Thank you much! That's what I get for letting the 2-year-old play with the wheel. I thought he might've hit something, but then I wondered why there would be a button that would shut off the dashboard display. That's why I'm not an engineer.

Jay

Not to beat a dead

Not to beat a dead horse...

but the Prius is NOT your average car. It has ALOT of features
    not found in the normal Detroit product.

I know that 400 page owners manual looks a little intimidating, but
    you REALLY need to read thru it. There are several "other" features that could bite you in the ....

Any, by the way. I AM an engineer.

Yes, my dashboard display

Yes, my dashboard display also goes black when I turn my headlights on. It just started last night and it's really creepy trying to drive in the dark that way. If I turn my headlights off all the displays come right back. I will look for the Day/Night brightness setting on the wheel as suggested by gschaut and see if that works.
    I did make a sevice appointment for next week, but the service department said "they had never heard of anything like that happening".

You can get a brighter

You can get a brighter display if the brightness control is full bright even if you use headlights in the daytime. Unfortunately, only the Toyota dealer can do this. The range goes from -2,-1, default +1, +2. I am always amazed why drivers use headlights during beautiful weather. If you can't see a vehicle without lights on in good daytime weather you shouldn’t be driving.

Another factor in display

Another factor in display brightness is on a sunny day your eyes adjust by making them less sensitive to light. If you are deficient in vitamin A it makes matter even worst.

There are many things you

There are many things you can change in a Prius 2 and maybe some of the older Prii. Things like brightness of display, only one beep when backing up and many other things you would like changed. Some of these things you can change yourself and some only the Toyota dealer can do. Toyota changed their name years ago from Toyoda to Toyota. In Japanese toyoda means a rich rice field. They were afraid that cuatomers buying a new Toyota would expect a free bag of rice.

An odd thing happened to my

An odd thing happened to my display on a 2011 Prius 2. With other cars I usually place mail to be deposited in the mailbox in front of the speedometer. When I did that in my 2011 Prius 2 the mail blacked out the area with the speedometer etc. When I removed the mail to drop into the mailbox it was back to normal.