+ Reply to Thread

Prius conks out in heavy rain

Our Prius has conked out several times in heavy rain when driving at highway speeds. The display sputters and then the car stops functioning. An error message appears on the display but I canít remember the exact wording. After a rest of 10-15 minutes the car works again, but when this happens suddenly on an Interstate highway itís frightening. Has anyone had this problem and can anyone shed any light on whatís happening? I drive this car infrequently, so I never remember to ask the Prius dealer about this issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Prius has some SERIOUS

Prius has some SERIOUS wiring harnesses under the body, between the engine compartment and dashboard, and back to the battery compartment under the trunk. And not just computer wiring. 200Vdc. Not to mention the 600Vac coming off the inverter to the proplusion motor.

sounds like something is getting wet.

Dealer "should" be able to duplicate the problem by putting car up on a lift, and spraying the underside with hose.

IF... they really want to bother finding the cause of the problem.

Thanks. Yes, I assumed this

Thanks. Yes, I assumed this is the problem. But because it's my wife's car & not mine, it's mostly out of sight/out of mind. However, when I need to drive a long distance & there's a possibility of rain, I won't go near this car. And that's no way to own a car.