+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crunching Noise

Crunching Noise

Hey Everyone! I have had my 03 CHC for a little over a month now, and I LOVE it. It is not getting mpg in the 40's yet, but I am still learning to drive this thing. Anyways, for the past weeks, as I accelerate through the 20mph - 35mph range, I hear a weird crunching or clicking noise - I think it is either from the transmission or the engine(?). I am not very mechanically savvy, therefore, I cannot tell you exactly what I hear. Also, when I turn on the car one click before the engine turns on, the "Maintenance Required" light blinks and flashes for a the better part of 15 seconds. Even after I turn on the engine, it blinks, then goes away after five or so seconds. Should I be concerned about either of these problems? I am getting an oil change in about 200 miles, possibly sooner depending on my availability and the pricing. If I take it to my honda dealer, can they check out all the fluid levels and see if I need to do any more maintenance on it? (It is nearing 77k miles)

Thanks for your insight!

J

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Absolutely, take it to the

Absolutely, take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Only they know how to acknowledge any existing or developing issues and how to properly resolve them.
    If I recall correctly, you have a CVT model, correct? If so, schedule something as soon as possible and instruct them to report on the state and condition of all systems in addition to the symptoms you are reporting. They will then let you know what they find.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hey MSantos! So I got

Hey MSantos!
    So I got curious and went up to our local AutoZone and plugged in there little OBD II sensor computer gizmo into my car, and it came up with the Evap Cap was off/loose. Is that something that I can fix myself?

Also, the previous owner of my HCH (2003, CVT with 77k) did not really mention that last complete service the vehicle had. He said the oil should be up around 77k, and I am nearing that in about 500 or so miles. Should I just take it to the dealer for this Evap thing, have them do the 80k check up and do that? Like, change out all the trans. fluid and all that good stuff?

What is your recommendations?

Thanks!
    J

Josh; A fault code relating

Josh;

A fault code relating to the evaporative system may be as simple to solve as re-seating the gas cap with a couple of extra clicks or a leaking seal or damaged filler tube that really requires professional attention.

At this point I would attempt to re-seat the gas cap and see if the code goes away. Give it a couple of days as it may take that long to clear. To speed up the process just disconnect the 12V battery for a couple of minutes. While you are re-seating the gas cap have a look at the seals on the cap and the general appearance of the filler tube and look for any signs of damage.

If the codes do not go away, then it is time to take it in for them to look at it.

Cheers;

MSantos

I have a 03 civic hybrid and

I have a 03 civic hybrid and the transmission has a metal growling sound when driving. A friend said it is the pilot bearing, because the transmission drives flawlessly and there are no check engine/transmission light on on the dash panel. What think, and how much should I budget for? thanks, Rich

The noise could be what was

The noise could be what was described in the manual as a noise resulting from a build up of gasoline impurities in the engine. The manual states that you should use gasoline containing engine cleaners (Maybe Chevron gasoline) and that it is designed to run within specific tolerances of trace elements only. Hope that helps.