+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Many 2006 models have been

Many 2006 models have been checking in with 130,000+ miles on their odometers with no problems to report. Some members of the HCH-II community actually own some of these higher mileage vehicles.

Given time and driving conditions as well as climate extremes, rattles affect any vehicle sooner or later. Let us also not forget that the Civic is also a compact and not a luxury model. With that said, my 2006 is still as solid and rattle free as it was on day one. When it is very cold (-30 to -40) you may hear some trim noises as expected on courser roads. It all goes away once the car interior warms up.

I personally prefer Michelin X-ICE tires as my winter rubber for all my cars. To operate the HCH-II in snow with its OEM tires is to ask for trouble so yes, I vigorously recommend snow tires for the winter months.
    To be truly effective, traction control has to be well implemented otherwise it can be more of a problem than an benefit (example: Toyota Prius). TC and VSC are offered in the HCH-2 sold in other parts of the world but not in North America.

Cheers;

MSantos

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Welp, I did it. Traded in

Welp, I did it. Traded in my Acura TSX for a Civic Hybrid -- should pick it up in a day or so.

I am wondering, in a nutshell, what should I do to "break in" the engine properly??

Be specific .... I'm new to this hybrid stuff.

Thanks~~~~

First of all,

First of all, Congratulations !!

I often suggest that people take in easy in the braking and acceleration department for the first 2000 miles. Dealers will recommend docile driving for the first 600 miles or so.

Personally, I take it easy for the duration of the first oil change which can last anywhere from 7000 and 11,000 miles.

Second:
    Welcome to the HCH-II club. The next step is to visit us at www.cleanmpg.com and introduce yourself. Once there you'll literally be overwhelmed with all the details you'll ever need about your new HCH.

Cheers;

MSantos

Couple of things I can think

Couple of things I can think of, not specific to the break-in, but specific to the Hybrid:

1. Set your dash display so that the upper left corner shows your realtime mileage constantly (as opposed to temperature).

2. Set your center odomenter display to show your current mileage since last resetting the trip meter, and reset that at each tank full.

These two bits of information will really help you understand and improve your mileage.

Regarding break-in, all I can think of the usual Honda instructions. One being: yes, drive moderately (especially on cold engine), but also atempt to put the engine through a variety of load conditions. I guess *anything* other than a road trip across the prairies would accomplish this.

Also, stick to the Maintenance Minder schedule, especially don't jump the gun on the first oil change. Some dealers tend to push accelerated schedules, and additional oil filter changes, but it's not needed.

MSantos - thanks for all the

MSantos - thanks for all the great info - wish you would write a book on the HCH.

To clarify one point: does the AC need to be in AUTO to be able to enter the electric-only mode, or is it possible in AC ON? I have an '08 HCH.

I am primarily interested in being able to get auto idle stop with the AC on. I have been able to get it sometimes even with ambient temps over 100F, but never with the AC on. I have mainly been running in AC ON vs AUTO so I can control the fan speed - manual mentions fan speed is a factor in the auto idle stop logic.

Thanks.

I would also love to know

I would also love to know how to make the AC stay on and have Auto Stop. I don't know if it's possible.

With the high temps, my car always does auto stop- and the fan might run to cool the engine while I'm in auto stop (not the AC fan, the fan under the hood- the one that stays on when you turn off your car).

To control the fan speed on AUTO all you have to do is set the degrees lower. You can use the AC a lot more efficiently by setting it at like 80 or 75 and when the fan slows down, turn it down another degree until it's where you want it. It wastes a lot less energy than setting it to 62 and trying to blast your car cool.

hansonclan: No, the Climate

hansonclan:

No, the Climate Control does not have to be in Auto for the AC to be in electric. The criteria for running the AC on electric only is that the temperature differential between the climate control setting and the ambient has to be small enough for the climate control to stay off the (gas engine) belt driven half of the compressor. Essentially, the AC on the HCH-II is driven by electric and assisted by the gas engine whenever it needs to work harder. On its own, the electric AC compressor is only able to maintain temperatures or make rather small adjustments... so the strategy I described is one way to keep it "cooler" while minimizing the FE hit.

MY_MPG_55:
    Unfortunately, the HCH-1 cannot run the AC on electric only as it does not have an electric scroll compressor as the one found on the HCH-II.

Cheers;

MSantos

Our Dealer can get us a

Our Dealer can get us a white Civic Hybrid with navigation in a month. My question is does the navigation have backup camera in it like our Ridgline or is it an option?

Steven, that feature is not

Steven, that feature is not usually an option.

Some dealers (very few) will install it as an option and where that is not available, the owners of Navi equipped HCH's can opt to have it installed by an audio/video shop.

Cheers;

MSantos

Steven, the HCH Nav doesn't

Steven, the HCH Nav doesn't include a backup camera as on the CRV. The factory equipped, built-in-the-dash nav isn't generally included on the HCH but available as factory ordered. The dealers do have a tack-on nav unit for the Fit that can probably be added to the Civic, similar to what you might buy at Sam's Club, Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. You can check out a factory unit on a regular Civic. I was able to demo the factory nav on the regular Civic. The same unit goes in the HCH.

I'm anticipating ordering my HCH with nav. The dealer tells me it will probably be a 2009, so I'm waiting for any additional info on the 09's which info should be here something this month. Then I'll order. I'm hoping they'll add a Bluetooth link.

Can't wait!

Scott