+ Reply to Thread

2009 Civic Hybrid

Any news concerning what changes will be made in 09 on the Civic Hybrid? Also,any news on the new hybrid Honda will be coming out with. Thanks very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi pfarinelli: No

Hi pfarinelli:

No significant changes are expected for the 2009 and 2010 HCH gen 2 model.

There are basically two new hybrid platforms slated for release in 2009 and 2010. One is a derivative of the concept CRZ which is a two seater and is expected to make its debut in the European market first.

The other is often dubbed a small family hybrid that will be priced slightly below the price of the HCH and will be EPA classed as a subcompact. The main distinguishing feature about the new model is that early designs indicate it is a new 5 door architecture that will not be shared with any other platform - in other words it will be as unique as the Toyota Prius. The goal for this new family vehicle is to offer a class leading environmental and fuel efficiency performance. The product volumes for this new hybrid is expected to be 3-4 times higher than that of the HCH, so the expectation is that it will be affordable and popular too.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks for the update

Thanks for the update MSantos. Will honda increase battery storage capacity or increase the electric motor size? Do you know if they will stick with the 1.3 liter or revive the 1 liter 3-cylinder from insight.

By the way, I got a Red Prius and its magnificent. One big diff that I noticed is the sound when closing the door. The HCH sounds like a Mercedes S500 and the Prius sounds like the screen door.

Thanks for your prompt

Thanks for your prompt reply. Is the 5 door the 2009 or 2010 release vehicle?

uktiger: The higher

uktiger:

The higher production numbers of the upcoming "family hybrid" platform will deny Honda of a battery pack that is significantly larger than what we have today on the HCH. This is not only because of the aggressive MSRP but also because of battery pack supplies.

Given that Honda's target production volumes are in the 200K per year, it is doubtful that they will be able to get additional commitment from Panasonic for producing the needed NiMH battery packs. Please note that Panasonic is the primary supplier of battery packs for Toyota and Toyota owns a significant stake in Panasonic. Sanyo is not expected to be able to fill-in the extra demand as they have in the past.
    Almost every major battery manufacturer is having trouble producing high quality and high yield LiION battery packs so it is also unlikely that these will be ready for mass production in 2010 to offset the shortage of NiMH packs.

So all in all, it would be a big change in fortunes if Honda could design the newer hybrid with a larger pack. But barring a miracle or a technical revolution of some kind that is unlikely to happen.

Cheers;

MSantos

MSantos, With the "usual" 4

MSantos,

With the "usual" 4 years per generation, wouldn't the current Civic Hybrid, which came out in '06, be due for a major revision in '10? Or are they just bucking that pattern?

Mendel, you are quite right.

Mendel, you are quite right.

Many expect the new model to be released in the fall of 2009 as a 2010 model. However, the investor information and road-maps seem to "stretch" the second generation over to 2010. That is why I referred to the generational "end year" as 2010.

For the keen observer this may be a bit unsettling, but I am sure there's an underlying strategy and reason at work. Then again... it may end-up being just an interpretation error of my part. I would actually prefer it that way...

Cheers;

MSantos

Will there be more options

Will there be more options on the 2009 Hybrid. The 2008 was sold full equiped, but will there be 2 or 3 versions with different sale prices?

Hello pfarinelli! Just came

Hello pfarinelli!

Just came across this link in Edmund's Insideline titled "Spy Photos: 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid"...just follow the link.... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=129208
    Junior
    Mesa, AZ...it's a "dry" heat!

Just got back from a local

Just got back from a local dealer who had a list of product updates for 09. The Civic navi's will now have bluetooth. Also, hybrids will now have a leather option.

I listed some color changes in the thread on colors.