+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

current wait time, ordering FEH w/ trade-in

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a Ford Escape Hybrid for a while now (I live in Central Florida) and I can't seem to find any dealership with one in stock. Most of the dealerships have told me that it would be about 3 months to get one in. My questions are...

1. Is everyone having this problem finding a FEH locally?

2. (most important) Has anyone ordered a hybrid vehicle and did a trade-in as well? Do you negotiate the set price for your trade-in value the day you order or does this value change the day the vehicle comes in?

3. Have everyone/anyone been able to get their exact vehicle ordered to their liking? (I have one dealer say that they can only order the kiwi green FEHs)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jtgonegreen View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a Ford Escape Hybrid for a while now (I live in Central Florida) and I can't seem to find any dealership with one in stock. Most of the dealerships have told me that it would be about 3 months to get one in. My questions are...

1. Is everyone having this problem finding a FEH locally?

2. (most important) Has anyone ordered a hybrid vehicle and did a trade-in as well? Do you negotiate the set price for your trade-in value the day you order or does this value change the day the vehicle comes in?

3. Have everyone/anyone been able to get their exact vehicle ordered to their liking? (I have one dealer say that they can only order the kiwi green FEHs)
    It appears the CA 90210 zip code area is getting most of the '08 FEH's at this time. Ford has not been providing the east coast with many at all from what everyone says.

I would negotiate everything before you order and make sure there are no reductions in your trade of no kind at the time of delivery. Make sure there are no mileage or changes in the book value that would effect your trade. One dealership pulled this with one poster and wanted to decrease the value of his trade-in when his FEH arrived. Also, be aware there can be price increases while your vehicle is being built. This happen to me and cost me $400 more. The dealerships all know that Ford operates this way.

You should be able to order any color and options available. Something is up with that kiwi green only color and I would stay away from a deal with them. I have a broker who deals with the fleet managers at most dealerships who gets me what I want, at a realistic price for hard to get vehicles. He would also negotiate your trade-in for fair market value. He's located in Palm Beach Gardens at my Credit Union. Bought my '05 FEH and a '07 Civic through him and all deals were as he said. We got financing at the Credit Union which was straight forward also and we were pre-approved before the order was signed. I was given my $500 deposit check back at delivery BTW.

GaryG

Ordering FEH

We ordered our 2008 FEH last May and it was delivered in September. We have done business with the dealership for a long, long time and I wouldn't think of looking elsewhere, though it was a moot point since at the time none of the dealers in this area (southern Wisconsin) had an '08 FEH in stock, anyway.

The salesman told us that most of the hybrids were being sent to the west coast or to NYC to fill their taxi cab orders (I have learned that this was indeed true) making for long waits for those of us in the heartland.

Initially the plan was to sell our 2002 V-6 Escape to a friend of ours when the hybrid came in but he had a change of plans so we ended up trading it instead. We waited to write up the deal until the new one came in since the dealer hadn't asked for a deposit or anything. There was a slight increase in price by the time it arrived, but we hadn't committed so could have taken a pass on it if we had wanted to. We paid sticker minus a $500 incentive and got a trade-in allowance that was more than fair.

We ordered the car exactly the way we wanted. Kiwi Green was the color we wanted anyway, but I think you're being misled if they're telling you that it is your only option.

If any of you remember when the first '05's were built, Ford was only allowing the green States like CA and NY to order the FEH at first. I know here in FL my broker told me I could not even order one till Feb. '05. Some dealerships here that owned dealerships in NY shipped a few down and put them on the showroom floor. I found one at Al Packer Ford in WPB in Dec. '04 and a salesman told me this. They were asking $5000 over sticker so I just said no thanks.

My broker got a call from Maroone Ford in Delray Beach in Dec. '04 and said they were alloted 2 FEH's that were sold, but one buyer got tired of waiting and backed out of the deal. I was offered the FEH at $500 over sticker and took it. It hadn't been built yet, so I was able to change the order for a fully loaded FWD. I got it in Feb. '05 when the dealers were just able to take orders here in FL.

I'm wondering if Ford has resulted to the same tactic and limiting the FEH to the non-green States because of production limits like back in '04. If I recall, Ford was having delays in battery supplies then, and it may be the case now.

GaryG

Well, we DID get ours (eventually) last year. And I do know that another dealer in our area (again, southern Wisconsin had at least one on their lot last summer while we were waiting for ours. Also, I have seen other '08 FEH's and MMH's on the highways here in Wisconsin.

I had heard the theory about the battery supplier, too. I'm a bit skeptical since Toyota seems to get them by the tens of thousands.

I ordered my FEH 4WD on Nov. 6th and still waiting...I am in Toronto, Canada. Now almost 3 months....

I ordered my Kiwi Green 2008 FEH on October 10th, and took delivery on December 19th. This is in the Northern Virginia area.

I had the bad experience (mentioned by GaryG above) of being told that my trade-in was worth $3000 less in December than in October. That resulted in a day-long standoff until the dealer agreed to give me the trade-in allowance written up in October.

I feel lucky to have gotten my FEH so quickly, as I am now seeing other posts around the Internet talking about 18 or more week delays in getting an ordered vehicle delivered.

I read earlier that the wait

I read earlier that the wait is 20-24 weeks now. The 2009 version will arrive this summer and will feature new items such as variable valve timing. Anyone interested in ordering might as well as about the 2009 versions. There is only one Escape plant and it is located in the Kansas City, Mo area.

Good point Billy, here is a

Good point Billy, here is a link that folks may want to take a look at:
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...22/075604.html

Ford Unveils 2009 Ford Escape ,Mercury Mariner and Fuel Saving Vehicles

The new engine also is the new basis for Ford’s hybrid models, ushering in a host of improvements that will make the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid even more appealing. Adapted to the Atkinson cycle, the engine is the first for Ford to incorporate variable valve timing on a hybrid engine.

“More than ever, the Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid are the ultimate vehicles for commuters in the daily battle with urban traffic congestion,” said Cischke. “For every eight Escape and Mariner vehicles we sell, one of them is a hybrid, and the appeal is growing.”

Ford Hybrids: More Refinement, Safety and Performance

The new 2.5-liter engine also is the new foundation for the Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid models. Adapted for hybrid use, the engine is Ford’s first to use variable valve timing on an Atkinson cycle hybrid engine. Advancements in engine processor technology enable a nearly imperceptible transition from gas to electric mode.

A new brake system also provides a more seamless transition from regenerative braking to traditional braking. It incorporates a new pedal sensor that gives the driver better feedback and pedal feel similar to that of a traditional vacuum-assisted hydraulic system.

Also new this year is a new standard safety feature – AdvanceTrac® with RSC®. Already standard on gas-powered models, this patented Ford Motor Company stability control system includes roll stability control. Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid are the only small hybrids to offer such an advanced safety technology.

At the Washington Auto Show, Ford will display a Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) alongside the production Escape Hybrid. The plug-in research vehicle uses high voltage, lithium-ion batteries and can travel up to 30 miles on battery power alone before switching to full hybrid mode, delivering the equivalent of up to 120 miles per gallon for far fewer trips to the gas station.

Ford is collaborating with Southern California Edison in a unique partnership to advance the commercialization of PHEVs, demonstrating the potential for two industries to change the transportation and energy future.

This is part of Ford’s sustainability strategy, which also includes a new engine technology called EcoBoost that will deliver up to 20 percent better fuel economy and 15 percent fewer CO2 emissions on half a million Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles annually in North America starting within the next five years.

The EcoBoost family of 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines features turbocharging and direct injection technology and will be used in a range of global vehicles – from small cars to large trucks. Compared with more expensive hybrids and diesel engines, EcoBoost builds upon today’s affordable gasoline engine and improves it, providing more customers with a way to improve fuel economy and emissions without compromising driving performance.

More Technology, Connectivity

The popularity of the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner reflects a trend of continuous improvement and product enhancement, including the most “connected” driving experience available today.

New optional equipment includes:

SYNC, the award-winning Ford in-car connectivity system developed with Microsoft, will be offered in Escape and Mariner. New for the 2009 model-year, SYNC features “911 Assist” which will help drivers connect with emergency assistance in the event of air bag deployment. Also available for 2009, SYNC will offer Vehicle Health Reports, which are designed to keep owners up to speed with vehicle maintenance needs through the syncmyride.com web site.

SIRIUS® Travel Link™ , which offers real-time traffic, weather, fuel price, sports schedules and movie information when combined with Ford’s next-generation navigation system with voice recognition. Growing Popularity

With the continuous improvements to the 2009 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner, the vehicles are primed to build on their sales success in the 2007 calendar year, which included record hybrid volume. Highlights include:

Ford Escape Hybrid recorded a 10.4 percent increase in sales versus 2006, with 21,386 units sold, while Mercury Mariner Hybrid sales were up 17 percent over 2006 to 3,722 units.

Total Ford Escape sales were up 5.2 percent to 165,596. Mercury Mariner was up 2.6 percent to 34,844 units. The Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner are produced at Ford’s Kansas City Assembly Plant, and the 2009 models will go on sale this summer.

There is (or was) the issue

There is (or was) the issue of Ford losing money on each Hybrid sale. In the last month, Ford has announced they will finally make a profit on the hybrids. This fact (losing money on each sale) also contributed to the limited number of Escape Hybrids. Will Ford make more than 20,000 Hybrid Escape models for 2009? I don't know but the Hybrid Fusion will arrive in late 2008.