+ Reply to Thread

Running boards n/a on hybrids ?

Does anyone know why running boards are not an option on hybrid models ? I'm the main source of transportation for my 79 year old Mother, and she will be unable to step up into the MMH without them. Plus, I like the look with them on that I've seen on regular models. Since I'm not itching to carry around a step for her to get in, does anyone know if there's a physical reason for this omission ? Can they be dealer installed ? Any aftermarket models, etc... DD

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Welcome DD Posters have said

Welcome DD

Posters have said they have installed running boards and think the reason Ford doesn't installs them is because of the high voltage cables share bolts where the running boards mount. If there is an accident, they thought Ford had concerns the running boards could damage the cables that share the mount holes.

Not sure, but I thought I saw the '09FEH has running boards from pics I've seen. I may have been looking at the '09 standard Escape while reading about the FEH though.

Integrated Side Step Bars

Integrated Side Step Bars are a factory option on the 2008 FEH, which is closed to new orders. I'm guessing the 2009's will also have the option.

Before you go crazy ordering

Before you go crazy ordering running boards . . .

We've owned a number of Escapes, including our current (no pun intended) 2008 FEH. Some have had runners, some have not. In our experience, they aren't worth it. They get your pants dirty when you step out of the vehicle and they aren't that useful in getting in or out.

They look cool, but trust me, you're better off without them

Running boards will not help

Running boards will not help your Mother. Due to the fact that they are mounted very high to the vehicle. On current 08 and 09 FEH's they are snugged right up to the body. THe reason for this is aerodynamics. They didn't want anything pertruding out from the body to rob fuel economy. Anything that sticks out causes drag which takes away fuel economy. This is why the prius gets such better mileage.

I finally got to place my

I finally got to place my order for the MMH on 6/23. The running boards are still not an option on the MMH, just on the FEH. Not sure what the difference is, but the dealership is going to install them for me. I'm hoping to get them to do the engine block heater too. If not, I'll be looking up BillyK to find out who did it for him ! Sounds like it makes a big difference on start up in the colder climates.