+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'05 vs 08 FEH - MMH

Met with John Dixson a new proud owner of a '08 Fwd Mmh who lives 20 miles north of me. I wanted to compare FE and other things to my '05 Fwd FEH when new and report my findings here.

John is running 35psi in his Eco-Plus tires, so coasting was not as good as my FEH with 50psi. He has just 1,100 miles on his Mmh , so it's not broke-in yet either. I took Johns Mmh on a ~20 mile RT to a nice little restaurant where we had lunch. I averaged 53mpg, which was about 12mpg better in my '05 back in the days with 1,100 miles on my '05 FEH . It's a winner folks! The ride, the looks, Nav sys and the comfort is so much better now.

Good luck John, you have a great vehicle and Ford is job 1!

GaryG

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Did you have the scangauge

Did you have the scangauge II hooked up to the 08 Mariner? If so, could you report on whether the 08 models allow 35 to 65% hybrid battery SOC as reported by Mark Smith on the "other" site?

Hi Billy John has a new

Hi Billy

John has a new Xgauge with SoC programmed but I was only monitoring Current MPG. I do monitor two SGII's in my '05 and would have loved to monitor SoC in John's '08MMH had he had a second gauge. John and I talked the entire time and it was hard enough watching one Xgauge, the other standard gauges, nav sys and the road at the same time without causing an accident. I've heard that Mark is incorrect about the 35% to 65% charge/discharge limits, so that was not a concern to me. My techniques focus on driving with the lowest SoC possible anyway. Regen is much milder in the '08 and it takes longer to go EV using "L". You get about the same amount of charge in the battery with the FS in "L" because it takes a longer time to go EV in "L". I'm sure I could adjust my techniques to get better FE overall than my '05 given a few days of driving.

It is my opinion that a 35% to 65% charge/discharge limit would not increase FE on its own. I use a small percentage (39% to 43.5) on average SoC to exceed 60mpg now, so I don't think going higher or lower would do much good for me. The plug-in in the new Ford FEH that Ford has introduced to a CA Electrical Company is another story.

GaryG

You only use 39-43.5% SOC to

You only use 39-43.5% SOC to achieve 60mpg? WOW. That seems completely different than what many of us do--that is get a high SOC and then drain it via EV mode and then repeat. Hmm, I better get a look of your video on the internet and study it.

There is a number of reasons

There is a number of reasons why keeping SoC low allows better gas mileage.

1. The HV battery takes a faster charge from the generator and regen to stay in EV longer.

2. The worst mode to be in is negative split mode with a full HV battery.

3. When you must exceed 40mph and no EV, the battery has room for a charge for EV down the road.

4. Cold engine and HV battery warm-up is faster because of low RPM engine load by the generator and a heavy charge heats up the battery.

5. The warm-up strategy allows the SoC to drop down to ~32% while you gain speed for "L" FS's to build SoC faster.

The key is to keep the engine off longer with faster charges when the engine is running. A long slow fuller charge decreases MPG and carrying around HV battery stored energy is a waste. With a plug-in FEH/MMH, you can use that energy first and fast charges later.

Gary, I have been paying

Gary, I have been paying attention to the SOC guage and to date have not been able to get below about 40% for the ICE start threshold. As you know, I do always run the nav and radio, plus the circulation fan at its lowest setting.

I really do appreciate the instructional ride.

Still no response from Linear Logic as to why the CTQ guage is disfunctional.

Thanks,
    John Dixson

Good to hear from you John

Good to hear from you John and it was my pleasure driving a new '08 FWD MMH for the first time. Thanks! Anytime you want to get together again and exchange differences in the two models, let me know.

Thanks for confirming billy's question on the '08 SoC range with your Xgauge. Sounds like Desertdog (Carl) is working with Ron Delong at Linear Logic on some of the issues with processors and coding, and he will report their findings ASAP. You have to remember the FEH/MMH has much more gauges available than the other Hybrid Makers thanks to Carl and Ron.

Also, welcome to Hybridcars.com with the new site format. It has changed two times since I joined in Dec. '04 when I placed my order for my '05 FEH. Brad Berman does a great job with the site and we've spoke on the phone about the site a few times.

GaryG

Thanks for checking with Ron

Thanks for checking with Ron and Carl about the Scanguage II and SOC issues. It always is interesting to learn more about our vehicles. I hope your hypermiling status can work for you (and all of us) in the future in reviewing and reporting on the newest version of the FEH. I wonder if you could put your skills to work in promoting this vehicle for dealerships and/or Ford Motor Company itself? I wondering if you should hire(?) an agent in an attempt to do this. I'm sorry to highjacking this thread but you have some special driving skills that could pay off in many different ways.

Thanks Billy The problem

Thanks Billy

The problem with dealerships in Florida is not selling, but getting enough units. Hypermiling is a hobby and a challenge with myself to overcome everyday conditions.

John Dixson allowed me to prove a brand new FWD MMH that has low tire pressure and miles, can exceed far over 40mpg if the driver is willing to learn and use the techniques myself and others have discovered. Many driver are satisfied with driving a SUV with 28mpg and that's find also.

GaryG

Gary will be ecstatic to

Gary will be ecstatic to know that his "encouragement" made me increase the tire pressure to 37.5 psi, and on the flat roads around Stuart, Fl, I could not discern any difference. ( Having been an engineering test pilot for a helicopter company for 39 years, I do have an accelerometer implant in my fanny, or so the engineering VP used to say ). Comment on how much higher one might go without messing up the ride?

Thanks,
    John