+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Honda Civic '06 maintenance schedule

Just got an 06 Civic Hybrid...

The dealer said that for oil changes, I need OW-20 oil. I'm not much of an expert on this and am wondering I could find it at a non-Honda dealer if I went to one for an oil change. Does anyone know? In a pinch, could a different type of oil be used?

I appreciate your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I currently have 5460 miles on my 06 HCH and the service indicator light hasn't turned on yet. I read in the manual that it'll turn on at 15% oil life left, usually about 10K miles.

My dealership recently informed me that I should get an oil change now, because they need to be serviced every 5000 miles in spite of the indicator light not turning on. Is that right?

And how come older models of civic hybrids require religious maintenance at like every 3750 miles while the new 06 model is whenever the service (wrench) light turns on?

Should I really trust the indicator light only to tell me when and how the car should be serviced, or am I responsible for other maintenance items to keep the warranty valid?

Good for You to read the manual, Drew. I have 7035mi on my car. Today the oil went to 15% & the wrench light came on I freaked out-(I kept meaning to find time to get the oil changed).
    A call to the dealer was reassuring, and now it is getting an early 10,000mi service, Tomorrow. I'll let you know any useful bits of info.
    Have You noticed that cool air blows out of the vents regardless of auto being in off? I am finding this annoying. I don't want to turn on the heat to compensate for the cool air.
    Besides that I Love My Honda Hybrid.
    Lisa

the cold air your getting is prolly because you have air coming from outside. if this happens when the car is moving just hit the button to the right of the a/c button, the one with pic of a car with curved arrow. this will only allow air to circulate within the car and no air will blow in from outside through the vents.

Drew

My 2004 HCH only needs its oil to be changed every 5k miles. As far as the maintainance, my 04 has a "service soon" light too.

BUT, the dealership sets that light/computer when they change my car's oil (in my 04, I can reset it myself if I wanted too). As I get 15% within the 5k mile mark since the last oil change/reset, the light comes on when I start the car, and it gradually stays on longer until I definitley need an oil changes, then its always on.

Otherwise, I'd trust the book over the light just to be safe.

My dealer told me it should be serviced at 5K... or when the oil life is 5%. I own a 2006 for 2 months. Very pleased with overall performance. Superb car.

I used to own a 2003 HCH and the maintenance schedule said to change the oil every 10,000 miles in normal driving conditions, but the dealer recommended 5000-mile oil changes. At first, I split the difference and got the oil changed at 6700, 13,400 and 20,000 miles, but started to do the 5000 miles to make myself feel better.

I just bought a used 2006 with just over 10,000 miles, did not see the info on the maintenance minder at first, asked the dealer, and again was told to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles. They also gave me their own maintenance schedule for things every 10,000 miles, so I paid $105 for the 10,000-mile maintenance, which included an oil additive. Mind you, the owners manual says that no oil additives should be used.

I am beginning to question the dealer's motives. They tell me that the owners manual does not take into account real-life driving. I am leary, though, of spending $100 at 10,000 miles, $200 at 20,000 miles, and $300 at 30,000 miles PLUS oil changes in-between at 15 and 25 thousand.

This time around, I am going by the maintenance minder. I have 6000 miles since my oil change and am at 50% oil life. I'll let you know how it goes changing my oil when it falls below 10%.

Terrible Service from Honda

My wife took my 06 Civic Hybrid to the dealership today to get the oil change because the service department informed us that only THEY could do it. Well, I showed up in time for my appointment and after waiting an hour, the service people slowly made their way to my car. All of the service customer service people seemed lazy and angry to be at work.
    Nevertheless, they finally changed the oil, but failed to reset the oil percentage indicator.
    How sorry is a service department that not only cannot keep the appointment times, but forget to do something as important as resetting the indicator?! Anyways, that will be the last time we go there.
    Now to my question: Does anyone know how to reset the indicator back to 100%? The manual says to bring it to the service department, but they are obviously too incompetent to do this. Can someone help with some info? Thanks!

Boonedoggle

Boonedoggle,

On page 182 of the 06 Civic Hybrid manual you will see the following instructions on how to reset the Engine Oil Life Display back to 100%:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life is displayed.
    3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code will blink.
    4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenace item code will disappear and the engine oil life will reset to 100%.

Hope this helps.

I just got my oil changed at 6700 miles, I waited until the car's light went on (the one that looks like a wrench.) Between the book and the dealer I trust the book. I have found that the dealers are better with regular Honda's but that they really are not all that well informed about the Hybrid. The best they can do is remember to use the specific oil the Hybrid requires instead of regular oil.