+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire reviews?

Tire reviews?

After doing some reading on the topic of Hybrids and gas mileage, it seems to me that tires are a very important issue. Probably more for the hybrids than most other passenger cars. I've been shopping for tires for our 2003 HCH but I can't find much on what are the best tires for this car. I researched the OEM tires for it and they didn't get very good ratings at all as far as road noise, wearability, value, and severe weather traction. The tires on my car at the moment are Hankooks made in china and frankly they don't seem like the best tire either as they are noisey, bumpy, and are wearing out fast.

It seems to me it is quite a balancing act getting the optimum gas mileage while at the same time buying a tire that you can live with as far as road noise, comfort, and good all-weather traction. At the moment I'm afraid to buy a set because I don't want my FE dropping by 5-6 mph. But I don't want to buy the same set again because I believe there might be a better set out there.

So how about we post a sticky of Hybrid owner's experiences with different tires. Anybody else want to weigh in on this subject or have any reviews or advice on good choices of tires for hybrids?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Our 2006 Civic Hybrid came

Our 2006 Civic Hybrid came with Bridgestone Insigina SE200. They're considered Low Rolling Resistance, I believe. I've read negative reviews of their snow traction, and our limitted snow experience with them *was* so-so. Other than that: they're quiet, track well, don't have that vague wandering feel. We're around 45000km with 6-7mm tread depth remaining. I might just look for the same, when the time comes, and that might be next fall.
    BTW, a worthwhile gadget to get is a decent tread depth gauge. Measuring the tread depth when new gives you some idea of the rate of wear.

I don't know much about the

I don't know much about the LRR ratings for each of the brand names currently on the market but whatever I need I get it from the GreenSeal Report.

You can get the report here:
    http://www.greenseal.org/resources/r...resistance.pdf

Some of the information may not be always current or helpful because not all tire brands/models are available everywhere. But, it can still be helpful in pointing you in the right direction.

One last thing:
    So far, LRR tires seem to be always a little noisier than their counterparts. In my recent exchanges with a couple of folks at Michelin, they mentioned LRR tires and some road noise "go together" and will likely remain that way.

Cheers;

MSantos

For all you hybrid drivers!

For all you hybrid drivers! I put turanza serenity tires on expecting a hit on gas mileage. As far as I can tell the difference is zero. Driving in the rain I actually got a little better mileage. The ride is unbelievable and quiet; I finally got rid of the tire noise. Handling is in another league all together, it's so much better than the stock tires. I chose these over the primacy mxv4 because they are rated at 70000 miles, thatís 10,000 more miles; they are a little more expensive than the primacys. I have been told that in general, longer lasting tires will have fewer problems because they are tougher rubber. They were the only premium tire that fit the noise requirement and the user reviews said they would definitely buy again.

Hi dm; What are those tires

Hi dm;

What are those tires inflated at?
    And what mileage do you currently have on your new tires?

Cheers;

MSantos