+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cruise control problem

I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 94,000 miles on it. I bought it since I frequently travel long distances and so far it has worked great. Unfortunately, I have been having problems with the cruise control recently. About 1 hour into any trip, the cruise control doesn't like to stay on anymore. When I start to ascend a hill of any size (nothing big, mind you), the IMA will go into charge about half way up, the car will slow down really quickly (which is quite dangerous if someone is behind me), and the cruise control will shut down. It will not work again until I manually shut it off and turn it back on again using the button by my left knee.

I took the car to the dealership and they said that they can't fix it unless they witness/experience it for themselves. However, it only happens during long trips and it happens unpredictably. Anyone else have similar problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi petetomo; couple of

Hi petetomo;

couple of questions:
    1- Does your cruise control master switch stay on when the cruise control is canceled?
    2- Is it a CVT model?

The likely problems:
    Quite often the cruise control is canceled when there's a problem with any of the following systems or components:
    - Engine and other emissions related discrepancies causing one or more codes (DTC's)
    - Faulty brake pedal switch
    - Faulty cruise control switch
    - Open circuit or poorly connected terminal (cruise control wiring harness)
    - Check your fuses to see if they're well inserted - especially the one for the CC.

Also, have them check your emissions system. A slight and temporary problem there can cause the CC to drop off. I suggest looking at the state of the O2 sensor and especially the catalytic converter. Since it is a 2003 model make sure that it is up to date in terms of software updates as these could have an effect on the health of your emissions system as well).

Cheers;

MSantos

Here's an update on the

Here's an update on the cruise control issue. I recorded a video clip of the dash while the problem occurred (not the safest thing to do but the dealership wanted to see exactly what happened so now they can). I took the car back to them and they were still stumped. They called their central Honda tech support who told them to change the brake pedal switch.

As I guessed, that wasn't it. If the cruise control went off suddenly, that might explain it; instead, the car slows down for 5-10 seconds before the CC shuts down.

I bought a bluetooth OBDII code scanner which I'll connect to my Treo to see if any codes come up while I'm actually driving. If not, I can always download the trends and print it for them to assist in their troubleshooting. Does anyone know where the OBDII port is on the '03 Civic?

In answer to your questions MSantos:
    1- Does your cruise control master switch stay on when the cruise control is canceled? The light on the dash shuts off after the car has already slowed down for a few seconds. The manual switch (the one by my right knee) however stays lit. To use the CC again, I have to shut off the manual switch and turn it on again.

2- Is it a CVT model? Yes

petetomo: I have seen

petetomo:

I have seen similar issues before in HCH-1 CVT's. The solution to this type of problem ended up being a PCM module replacement along with minor CVT work (some adjustments and one CVT valve replacement in some cases)

Good luck.

MSantos

Would a PCM module issue

Would a PCM module issue have anything to do with heat? As I mentioned earlier, this problem only occurs 1-2 hours into a longer trip. If I have my canoe on the car (significant increase in drag), it happens in less than 15 minutes.

The PCM module primarily

The PCM module primarily controls your CVT and "governs" the input to a few other systems (one of them, the CC).
    Yes, heat could be a downstream symptom but not necessarily a factor.

MSantos

I have a 2003 honda civic

I have a 2003 honda civic hybrid and the cruise control just went out. Dealer is quoting me $450 (discounted price) and I need two parts replaced. Is this common and do I have any other choice but to pay this amount to get if fixed?

If that includes labor then

If that includes labor then the price is almost about right. I would suggest visiting another dealer and getting an alternate quote. You don't have many alternatives unless you find a good third party shop that will order the very same parts but will charge less for the labor. This is not a common problem.

Cheers;

MSantos

I have the exact same

I have the exact same experience as Petetomo. I have a 2004 honda civic hybrid. I recently took a 7-hour trip, mostly freeway, and the cruise control started giving me the same problem. I had to manually turn the master switch off and on, then reset the cruise switch on the steering wheel. It did this periodically during the trip, and many times were when going up an incline; it didn't have to be a steep incline, either.
    Any new info to report about this problem?

I have been driving my

I have been driving my daughter-in-laws 2003 honda civic to try to see what is wrong with the cruise control. It shuts down unexpectedly at any time for 3 to 5 seconds and then accelerates very fast back to the speed it was set. The last time it was set at 65 and dropped to 45 and the car behind me almost hit me. I see this as a safety issue.