+ Reply to Thread

Are some brands of gas better than others?

I recently filled my Nissan Altima Hybrid with Shell gas vs. my normal "bargain brand". I have seen an increase in over 2mpg on this tank. (according to my dash readout). I admit the weather is turning slightly warmer here in New England, but I'm still running the heater and most mornings are still below freezing. Just wondering if anyone has experience getting better mileage with certain brands of gas. BTW, as far as I can tell, all the brands around here contain 10% ethanol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have a nah and after 20k

I have a nah and after 20k miles, I've seen no difference in brand name gas vs discount gas. Brand name might have some additives to help clean engine, other than that, you get almost the same mileage in a tank.

I have a 2008 Prius and have

I have a 2008 Prius and have been consistently getting about 51 MPG commuting in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro. On my last tank, I filled up with Exxon, instead of the usual stop at QT ... a local chain. The next day on the way to work, I noticed that my mileage had gone up about 3 MPG ... I am now showing 54 MPH on the computer display.

I keep a log on my cars and have a spreadsheet on my new Prius to track such things.

I know from personal experience having worked in the gasoline business that many gas stations in an area can get gasoline from one basic supply ... and the difference when delivered to the gas stations is in the additive package put in the gas when the tanker is loaded. Sometimes my ARCO gas got delivered in a SHELL tanker ... or sometimes a CHEVRON tanker.

I never worried much about mileage when gas was 35 cents ... but the computer on the Prius makes me aware of the details with gas at almost $4. I was amazed at the difference and I will be testing several brands to check on mileage by brand.