+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: '09 FEH/MMH

Another reason I ordered the

Another reason I ordered the Navigational system:

"Another important aspect of Sync is, being software-based, it is highly updateable. Sync customers can update to the next-generation phone or iPod, for example. Ford can add services as well: In January, the automaker announced the addition of a “911 Assist” feature that will enable Sync to connect with emergency assistance in the event of an air-bag deployment.

And Sync will be the conduit by which Ford will become the first automaker to offer Sirius Travel Link, a new navigation system that will provide up-to-the-minute information and entertainment content — including local movie shows and times, real-time traffic information for 78 markets, and current gas prices from an estimated 120,000 filling stations nationwide."
    http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/04/ford-microsoft.html
    Good article!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

More on the Nav Sys, Sync,

More on the Nav Sys, Sync, Sirius and Micosoft:
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...22/075604.html

Information on the '09

Information on the '09 FEH/MMH is starting to flow a little, here is another article:
    http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...le_id_int/2882

The Chicago Auto Show was

The Chicago Auto Show was way back in February (I was there). This is old news.

Ok, how this for more

Ok, how this for more information on the Michelin Latitude Tour design.

Also, it looks like the gas Escapes have gone to electric power assist like our FEH/MMH.

"* Escape and Mariner feature new low-rolling-resistance tires, developed in cooperation with Michelin.
    The new 16-inch Michelin Latitude Tour design features a unique mold design, reduced weight and a new-generation tread pattern optimized for reduced fuel consumption.
    * Aerodynamic refinements that account for increased fuel efficiency include a redesigned front bumper spoiler and new rear tire spoilers, the first application on a Ford SUV.
    * Additionally, Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is featured on both the standard and hybrid models of Escape and Mariner. EPAS replaces the traditional hydraulic power steering pump. Because it operates only when required for steering assistance, it contributes to lower fuel consumption than the hydraulic pump, which operated constantly during engine operation."
    http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...ed-power-28223

More info I haven't seen till now.

Here is a link to the new

Here is a link to the new Escape Michelin tire, but there is no mention of it being a LRR tire. Also, there is no P235-70R-16 tire listed for sale even. My guess is that Ford will have the control of the sale of the special P235-70R-16 LRR Michelin Latitude Tour tires like the Eco-Plus for a while. Looks like the standard Latitude Tour sale for $300 plus each. No telling what the P235-70R-16 Ford/Michelin will sale for.
    http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...titude+Tour+HP

Electric power steering is

Electric power steering is becoming increasingly common on cars and I think the '08 gasoline Escapes and Mariners had it, too.

It does reduce drag on the engine which boosts efficiency slightly, plus it reduces weight and complexity slightly. It is used on hybrids so that power steering is still available when the ICE cycles off.

More Good news on the '09

More Good news on the '09 FEH/Mmh , I think Ford did change to the 2nd Generation eCVT with the new Variable Voltage Converter. The reason I think this is true is because new road test are reporting higher EV speeds than ever before! SOMEBODY STOP ME!

Here is the article:

"In the hybrid the same improvements that were noticeable when I drove the prototype plug-in Escape in New York in March have been applied to the 2009 production models. The automatic starts and stops are now much smoother than before without the shudder that can be felt in many earlier hybrid models. Additionally, if the battery state of charge is sufficient the Escape can now go up to 40mph in EV mode compared to under 30mph previously."
    http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05...escape-hybrid/

If this guy couldn't get 30mph out of a new '08 FEH , than we might see EV speeds of 52mph like the plug-in prototype. Like I said earlier, if Ford kept the 330V Hv battery (which they did), and went to the VVC in the eCVT , EV could be longer and faster in the new '09 FEH/MMH.

Hey Gary, I too saw that

Hey Gary,

I too saw that article and was thinking the same thing on the VVC. I was wondering when you would start drooling about that tidbit. If true it will be a great change. I have searched hard for many months now to get an indication of the 09 FEH EPA ratings to see if there is an expectation of better mileage, To no avail. We have all seen the Auto Show news clips saying the regular eascapes are bumping up a bit but not the Hybrid...... This all seems fishy, like Ford is holding a card in their sleeve. Does anyone have any "sound" information on the MPG's for the 2009? It would really hit the competition hard if Ford squeaked 1-2 more published MPG over the 2008's - And also put additional distance between the standard ICE (economy) vehicles that are closing the gap.. I know all the Hypermilers here will advantage the new running gear - but it would be good to see the increases in the published numbers as well. At the same time it will piss me off if Ford is holding back on some easy (no cost) tweaks - only to put them in play for 2010.... Ie: keeping the card in their sleeve till next year.

I also called my buyer last friday, he told me the Ford Factory rep was going to have my vechicle "scheduled" by monday this week... I called again on Wed this week, and my buyer told me that ford stopped scheduling ALL escapes ( FEH and Regulars) for another week - did not know the reason.... He did say he expects it to be scheduled in the next week and could be delivered sometime late June but more likley early July This guy has a lot of integrity and if it was not coming till Dec, he would tell me as straight as he is hearing it. He also told me that according to Ford I am the #1 on the list for Colorado and very high nationally. The race is still on Gary! Twin Black Pearl Slate's!

Not sure getting a early vehicle off the line is the best thing - but that is what the warranty is for.

Hi there hybrid groupies. I

Hi there hybrid groupies. I enjoy reading everyone's posts, so I thought I'd make a comment (observation rather) on the 09 FEH. While, it looks like Ford has made some great under-the-hood improvements as well as trim & navigation improvements to the 09 model vs. the 08 model (which I have)... I believe that they did make one change that appears to be a step back. It looks as though they went from 4 wheel disc brakes to having drum breaks in the rear. I had read that somewhere a while ago and by the looks of the pics from the blog, the rear wheels do appear to have drum brakes. I believe the reason for this was the addition of the roll stability control. I think it had something to do with the engineers having a hard time working out the Reg braking with the RSC. I also will be interested to see if they eventually dd a seperate electric motor to power the AC compressor while the engine is off. THAT would be a major improvement in my opinion. I'd trade the 2.5L if it meant getting better gas mileage. The 2.1 seems to accelerate just fine by me. As I learned from gary, you want to keep it between 1800 and 2500rpms on acceleration anyhow.

Evlar