+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: '09 FEH/MMH

2009 Escape Hybrid will use

2009 Escape Hybrid will use rear drum brakes.
    Rear drums are more compatible with roll stability control,
    said Ford safety spofesman Wes Sherwood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Rear drums are more

Rear drums are more compatible with roll stability control? NO. The Ford Edge, Explorer and others have 4 wheel disc brakes and roll staiblity control.

Billy, I'm going to ride the

Billy, I'm going to ride the fence on the remarks 0T7 brought up because I had the same thoughts if Ford did a change back to rear drum brakes. The problem is, the Edge or the Explorer don't have regen in addition. It would seem to me Ford went to rear disc because of more roll drag resistance of drum brakes. I'm sure the answer will be solve in the near future when we start seeing delivery of the '09 FEH/MMH. Also, 0T7 could post a link of Wes Sherwood's comments to help us all see the exact wording of what he said.

I was about to sign up for

I was about to sign up for an 08 FEH, but after reading this forum, maybe I should wait for the 09's? One dealer said today it's a 5 month wait anyway, and that all the 08's are headed to California.

Ford dealers are not very excited about Hybrids, they are so hard to get, and the dealers have so much other stock on hand they want to move, which is hard with the price of gas, and the mpg not being so great on too many new cars and trucks.

I live in Tennessee, so I prefer a FWD for the better mileage. Snow and ice are minimal around here.

Since someone brought this

Since someone brought this up, I am very curious about this question about four-wheel disc brakes.

We had an early 90's Mercury Sable wagon that had ABS and 4-wheel discs and I'm sure that our 2001 Escape did too. However, my 2004 Taurus has rear drums but our 2008 FEH has 4-wheel discs.

I always thought 4-wheel discs were considered superior and that manufacturers had adopted it exclusively. Wonder why that isn't so.

Source 2008 2009 Escape rear

Source 2008 2009 Escape rear drums.
    AUTO LETTERS by Jim Mateja.
    Chicago Tribune Transportation section Sunday, April 27 2008.

Thanks 0T7, Just a simple

Thanks 0T7,

Just a simple cut and paste:

Q: Any explanation why Ford put drum brakes on the rear wheels of the Escape? Was that one of Ford's "better ideas?"

I.C., Willowbrook

A: Yes it was. Ford switched from rear disc brakes to drums on 2008 gas-powered Escapes because rear drums are more compatible with roll stability control, said Ford safety spokesman Wes Sherwood. Ford 2009 hybrid Escapes will use rear drums as well to accommodate roll stability control.

Here is my take on the drum

Here is my take on the drum and disc brake issue.

The 2005 Explorer has anti-lock 4 wheel disc brakes and roll stability control. It is stated in this link:
    http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Fo...xplorer/4620/1

The 2008 non-hybrid Escape has rear drum brakes but has the roll stability control.
    The 2008 hybrid Escape has 4 wheel anti-lock disc brake but not roll stability control.

Based upon what Ford has already did in the 2005 Explorer, 4 wheel disc brakes and roll stability control is possible combination. The 2008 non-hybrid should have had disc brakes, not drum brakes.

We know the regenerative braking on the hybrid Escape has been a problem combining with electronic stability and roll stability control. If Ford can only combine rear drum brakes with the regenerative braking system with roll stability control and electronic stability, then let it be. I doubt that it will remain that way if another manufacture introduces a similar system with rear disc brakes.

Billy, it could be a

Billy, it could be a programming conflict like Ford had with the PAT system on the '05 FEH and was resolved on the '06. It also could be a cost issue or a combination of both. We know regen is not driven off the rear wheels, but they all work together for a smooth braking system.

I agree that Ford will work out the bugs like they have in the past and when they do, the gas Escape will more than likely get rear disc also. I think it's about cost mainly right now.

Hi There: If anyone cares,

Hi There:

If anyone cares, that picture that Billk linked to is an 07. You can tell by the hand grip in the windshield. Ford eliminated them in the 08 redesign, their not there anymore.

When I was test driving it, I wondered where the handles were since most car have them, when a friend just bought an older escape, I noticed, they were in the same place as the picture, so that must be an old picture.