+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: '09 FEH/MMH

Update... The '09 FEH/MMH

Update...

The '09 FEH/MMH will go instant EV with a shift to Neutral at 40mph and below with a SoC of 41.9% or higher. Shifting to neutral above 40mph prevents Fuel-Cut (DFCO) when decelerating, so there is no benefit there.

My second tank MPG average is looking like a little over 49mpg and close to 700 miles. Considering we had ~4 days of high winds and heavy rain with Tropical Storm Fay, this is excellent for this time of year in So. FL on E-10 gas.

Based on my present tank miles on the trip OD of 604 miles, a MTE of 71 miles, and knowing I have 1.3 gallons of fuel left at 0 MTE, I will burn 15 gallons at 735 miles. My SGII Tank reading says I burned 12.2 gallons so far and have 132 miles TTE. My SGII Tank Size is set at 15 gallons. Based on the present Tank miles and the MTE projection, I'm getting a little over 49mpg. The Nav Sys says my average is 46.5mpg. This confirms my earlier difference between the SGII and the Nav Sys MPG averages. It is still my opinion that the OEM gauges don't recognize Fuel-Cut (DFSO) and will always read lower MPG averages. Since the new Nav Sys can be reprogrammed, Ford should have a recall and update the system for DFSO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Gary, My nav system doesn't

Gary,

My nav system doesn't have a tank level reading... just the overall and per minute MPG. They have obviously improved the software to the 09 FEH. I am looking for a way to see how accurate the nav MPG truly is. Since I don't have a SGII, I have been doing the math at the pump over a series of fill ups, and my MPG is always 1-3 MPG less doing the math versus the nav system reading... any recommendations most accurate MPG readings?

Evlar, there is no tank

Evlar, there is no tank level in my Nav Sys either, I use a combination of all the gauges to determine the amount of gas used and the amount of gas still in the tank.

You need a SGII to compare distance, time and mileage per gallon to the distance and miles per gallon of the OEM gauges. The factory OEM gauges can tell you a lot of information if you know how to read them properly. For instance, when you reset the Trip OD after a fill-up, the distance you travel before the gas gauge starts to move determines how much gas you over-filled or under-filled your tank. There is a vapor space that can be partly filled if the vehicle is sitting on a slope with the right front of the vehicle is lower than the left rear of the vehicle. I've driven over 100 miles before the gas gauge starts to move from the full position because of over-fills into the vapor space. If the gas gauge starts to move off full in say 10 miles, then chances are you had less than 15 gallons (the stated size of the tank) of gas from fill-up. I've found you can put 14 to 17 gallons of gas in the FEH Gas Tank. Also, we know the amount of gallons we add to the tank from the fuel pump reading at fill-up. Based on the Miles To Empty, we can calculate the gas left in the tank and compare that to the SGII mileage to empty, gas burned, and the gallons left according to a 15 gallons tank setting on the SGII.

The reason I know how much gas is in the tank at 0 Miles To Empty is because I based it first after seeing how far I could go past 0 MTE before running out of gas. I went 58 miles and averaged ~43mpg three years ago when I ran out of gas. Since that time, the SGII and the MTE have confirmed the 1.3 gallons by calculating many times during that 3 years. Sometimes I go 40 to 50 miles past 0 MTE to fill-up at a gas station I use. Those of you that drive with a lead foot and get ~25mpg on average, need to adjust how far they can go past 0 MTE based on 1.3 gallons. The good news is the FEH will run in EV a short distance after you run out of gas if you don't turn the key off.