+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: '09 FEH/MMH

I should have done a search

I should have done a search prior to asking about the torque curve. I found one here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...rque_Curve.jpg
    this is for the older FEH vehicles. It would be great to see what differences the 2009 model produces.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

This '09 FEHL is something

This '09 FEHL is something else. Today I set the Cruise Control at 30mph and watched the Soc get to 41.9% to automatically go EV. When the SoC dropped to below 40% in EV, I got a restart automatically to recharge the battery in CC, it continues to cycle back to ~41.9% and then goes EV while still in CC on its own. No decel or turning off CC at all. Just steer the FEH and let the computer hypermile you to over 50mpg at the push of the CC.

This is with the E-10 scam by Big Oil folks! GO Ford!

Sorry to be slightly off

Sorry to be slightly off topic. SOC means??? what? I'm a newbie and still learning the lingo. I'll guess state of charge for the battery? are these written in a faq anywhere? I'll assume that this is information you can get in the nav / car display? or is that a scan guage only thing?
    thx

SoC is a term used by

SoC is a term used by manuals, patents and the hybrid industry and it does mean State of Charge. I use a small o because it's easy to type that way.

Well thanks a lot, Gary.

Well thanks a lot, Gary. Now ya got me wishing I had waited and bought an '09 instead of my '08 FEH.

harumph

(LOL)

hey gary, You mention

hey gary,

You mention setting the CC at 30 and I am wondering if what I do is too fast, as I dont have a Scan Guage ( I should get one but the wife would think I was becomming obsessed)

I have been setting the cruise at 39. It seems that it is performing just as you mention but only at a faster MPH. I like the cycling of the ICE/EV at just under 40, but I live rural and I am often "pushed" by fast farmers and or their drunk teenage offspring. Often they pass, - but to avoid a load of "Double-ought Buckshot" in the back window sometimes I go faster.... What I do is always set the CC at 39 as I pass that speed initially, then accelerate to a tolerable speed and once Jethro is gone, I glide back down to 39. I generally leave the CC locked in at 39, and just accelerate to whatever speed is necessary using the gas pedal and then glide back down to the CC speed when I can.

I am wondering if I get full fuel cut when gliding back to a preset (lower) CC Setting - or if because the CC is set at 39 MPH it does not fuel cut off all the way ? (can you tell?)

Using this method and running at CC speed of 39 - if the ICE starts up due to low SoC I generally add some pedal depending if I am on a flat or a hill (or jethro behind) to get a bigger pulse - I figure that since the ICE had to be on anyway I might as well pulse up to a higher speed, then I get a great glide (hopefully with full fuel cut) from say 50 or 55 down to 39 and then I EV till low SoC again and repeat. Depending on the SoC and terrain, and adding the glide time and the EV time, I can go 2 - 4 miles before ICE restart. Very Easy to get ~50 MPG (as long as jethro moves along) even with E10 and 6500 foot altitude. I do agree though, the speed variance would drive anyone following me absolutly NUTS - and I can't do this after I reach the edges of suburbia as even the cops would think I was drunk.

I call it the Hillbilly modified pulse and glide with EV or "HMP&GwEV" for short GRIN! and I can't wait to explain it to Buford T Justice when he pulls me over for driving erratic. 10-4?

(mo offense to Hilbillies intended -as I am one)

---Cheers, Cougar

Quick thought on going EV

Quick thought on going EV and maintaining EV at 39 MPH in the 2009 FEH ... At 6500 feet the air Density is about ~20% less dense than it is at sea level and although my 09 FEH's ICE looses a lot of efficiency - I would think that some of those combustion engine losses might be made up by the fact than there is less air pressure. = Less air resistance. And when in EV the motor does not care about oxygen content etc. I travel a lot and rent cars in lots of cities and I can feel the difference between here and there when I put my hand out the window on the highway. I know humidity and specific density due to air pressure systems also comes into play....

I know that a ball off of a bat hit at Coors field has about ~40 extra feet. ( We love that home field advantage) - Might have helped Elway as well ( GRIN ) -All things being equal
    A ball hit at sea level that moves 400 feet would move somewhere in the range of 760 feet in a vacuum and would travel 441 feet in Denver, and 449 feet at 6500 feet of altitude.

I wonder if that is why it is so easy for my FEH to stay EV at 39 even in a head wind or up a hill up here. would be interesting to compute this out to see if there is any real difference.

Just thinking again ( I know I should stop) hrmm, a 09 FEH on the moon running in EV - how far would it go?

Cheers Cougar.

Cougar, I'm still playing

Cougar, I'm still playing with Fuel-Cut, but I get it almost every time from ~48mph on a decel in "D". Once you get Fuel-Cut the MPG goes to 9,999mpg and open-loop on the SGII. As you reach ~41mph and switch to EV, there is a change for about 2 seconds where the SGII drops from 9,999mpg to about 325mpg and back to 9,999 for total EV. Depending on how high your speed is above 40mph determines Fuel-Cut. So far I've never seen Fuel-Cut with the CC On, but I'll keep trying. The computer may not let you go Fuel-Cut at any CC speed setting I'm thinking.

I tried 38mph in CC today and my FEHL would not go EV automatically at 41.9% SoC like it does at 30mph. I think its because the accelerator angle is depressed more because of wind resistance at that speed here at sea level in Florida.

I really suggest at least one SGII in your FEHL. Two is enough for me and I'd be lost without them. I have over 550 miles so far on my first tank and I know I'll break 600 before I need to get gas. You can't tell how to monitor your MPG constantly without a SGII

Have you taken your FEHL for the A/C ECON problem yet? I had my Service Adviser research with the Hybrid Tech and possibly the Hot Line at Ford and she is going to call me when their ready for me to bring it in.

Gary, I have not yet taken

Gary,

I have not yet taken it in for the malfunctioning AC controls - I did mention it to the "delivery quality" agent at the dealership - and I cold tell he thought I was a little bonkers... I dont have the long term relationship built that you have yet. I was waiting to see if anyone else chimed in on the problem - or, if you got a valid response from your service drive guys that I could leverege locally here.. also once your team has logged it with the hot line then my report will be taken more seriously. I am hoping to head in soon when I can get a break from work.

My service adviser hasn't

My service adviser hasn't called me back yet on the ECON mode problem and Mondays are busy. Today we had a tropical storm come through so that was a wash out also. Sometime this week I hope to get it resolved.

Regarding the CC speed that the '09 FEHL will cycle In and Out for automatic EV, I got it at 38mph last weekend. I also found out that the CC can now be set below 30mph now. I set it as low as 25mph, so it will be interesting to see what kind of mileage it will get at that speed in CC with the automatic In and Out of EV.