+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast

I l agree with I have had

I l
    agree with
    I have had this problem since driving it over 100,000 miles I have complained about this. Understand the new Prius have done away with blader tank. A recall and fix would should be available. When driving out west thu Wyoming I never pass up a gas station.
    Toyota has not been honest

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I'm 16 and thinking of

I'm 16 and thinking of getting a prius as my first car. This fuel tank thing makes me think i'll be getting way less out of this fuel efficient car than i anticipated. That is important to me when it comes to saving on gas money. Should i buy a prius, not a new one, but a 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 prius?

I'm 16 and thinking of

I'm 16 and thinking of getting a prius as my first car. This fuel tank thing makes me think i'll be getting way less out of this fuel efficient car than i anticipated. That is important to me when it comes to saving on gas money. Should i buy a prius, not a new one, but a 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 prius?

How odd! I just bought a

How odd! I just bought a used 2008 Prius, and I had the exact same experience: blinking light, wouldn't take gas, then getting about 7.5 gallons in. My mileage figures were identical to yours .. I was thrilled with the 'better mileage' but now I realize there is no way to really estimate actual mileage if the capacity of the tank is always changing and one would never know how much fuel they'd started with. Very interesting, Toyota!

I do recall reading something in the user manual (or was it the priuschat userguide?) that mentioned the bladder and using care when refueling... but it would have been good to know that it wasn't going to require 'forcing' fuel down the filler neck!

I had issues with this as

I had issues with this as well. I followed this tutorial on how to calibrate my fuel sensors. It might help you...

http://youtu.be/R4A1Qq23F14

I just purchased a 2009

I just purchased a 2009 Prius a few weeks ago and had to refill it a week after the fuel put in from dealer ran out. Right now it just went on its last square but has not started blinking yet.

To be safe, I do not consider the 45mpg, I calculate it at 43mpg on the streets. But I will put down at how many miles until the blinking starts, and then intentionally how long it goes with the blinking until it "dies".

The one time it did start blinking, which is kind of nerve racking, because I would rather see the last square to light up red or something. But the car told me to add gas only once, and so I added it immediately, but for peace of mind in the future I'm going to run it down.

You guys are speaking of it restarting after dying and running on battery for at least a mile? Well I hope that is true.

What is interesting is you would think you would be able to get a few extra miles out of each gallon when you consider how much you drive at a constant low, or are stopped at lights, in traffic, etc..

Well, Whoever wrote this

Well, Whoever wrote this message is the first to come close to explain the TRUTH of the matter. We live in 80 - 90 F weather and the bladder in our 05 Prius does not seem to even be there. I run the car down from full and it only goes 430 miles. The computer says it got 48 mpg for the 12.130 gallons I refilled it. in actuallity, it gets 35+ mpg. You know the tank is full when the first light bar on the gas gague goes out after 80 miles. The last blinking light went on for at least 80 miles, it finally ran out and I was upset to say the least. These cars DO NOT get 50 mpg. The computer can say anything they want it to say. Even the Head mechanic at Toyota admitted that the Toyota Corporate mechanics will not tell them the specifics of when, why or how the fuel gague, bladder, or computer work together to determine fuel consumption or NOT!!! Another who wished he got something else that will accurately gague fuel consumption. As a foot note, can anyone actually say that they have driven 590 miles more or less on one tank. I'd love to hear it from an owner who has done does that. tjfy34c@earthlink.net Thanks>>>>>>>

Andrew, I know this is years

Andrew, I know this is years ago, but YOU ARE CORRECT! This comment is for anyone else who reads this thread. Here in the Florida Heat, there is NO bladder problem. I put in 12 gallons at 430 miles. that's 35.83 mpg. the Computer says 48 mpg. Toyota got the good fuel economy ratings from the COMPUTER, not actual fuel consumption. I have not heard from anyone that they can get the 590 miles that the car should get each 11.9 gallons. and again, from earlier posts and my own account. You can run the car empty and it still will run on electricity for a mile and half or so. With all the filters and precautions, I doubt that there will be any tank trash being drawn into the injectors or any harm by running it out. I am ticked that after so many years that the truth of these vehicles could not have been told by Owners or even Toyota or their competitors that these cars do not perform as advertized. High dollar mistake on my part. I want my Dodge Ram Truck Back!!!

Prius Owners: I know this

Prius Owners: I know this is years ago, but YOU ARE CORRECT! This comment is for anyone else who reads this thread. Here in the Florida Heat, there is NO bladder problem. I put in 12 gallons at 430 miles. that's 35.83 mpg. the Computer says 48 mpg. Toyota got the good fuel economy ratings from the COMPUTER, not actual fuel consumption. I have not heard from anyone that they can get the 590 miles that the car should get each 11.9 gallons. and again, from earlier posts and my own account. You can run the car empty and it still will run on electricity for a mile and half or so. With all the filters and precautions, I doubt that there will be any tank trash being drawn into the injectors or any harm by running it out. I am ticked that after so many years that the truth of these vehicles could not have been told by Prius Owners or even Toyota or their competitors that these cars do not perform as advertized. High dollar mistake on my part. I want my Dodge Ram Truck Back!!!

I bought my 2008 Prius new.

I bought my 2008 Prius new. About 8 months ago, I started having occasional "fill up" problems when the pump would click off and the gauge would not show all bumps (dots, bars, whatever) lit. I would then go back and put in another 1/2 to 1 gallon. I can attest to the bladder issue as the cause due to temperature variations. However, on my most recent trip, things got weird.

# Miles Gals MPG (Calculated)
    1 339 8.5 39.9
    2 382 6.2 61.6
    3 208 3.25 64.0
    4 209 7.9 26.5

The temperatures for all fill ups were between 75 and 95 degrees. This much discrepancy cannot be explained by the bladder/temperature relationship alone. However, the age of the bladder may have something to do with it and I will be talking to my dealer about it.

Just a couple of thoughts:
    I always calculate my mileage and I never use the display.

I run my tires at 90% of tire pressure rating (40-41PSI). The "recommended" tire pressure is to give a softer ride, but I want better gas and tire mileage.

Be aware that most new cars have "harder" rubber on them when you get the car from the dealer. They will get better mileage, but when you replace them (I prefer Michelin), you will get a drop of about 2-4 MPG!

It IS disconcerting not to know your range. So, I don't usually let the gauge go below 2 bumps.

With careful driving (NTE 60 MPH), new "dealer" tires and 90% inflation, a few Prius owners have gotten a consistent 48-50 mpg. My Prius has been a pretty consistent 42-44 with the Michelins.

My longest trip between fill ups in my records was 447 miles. 8.7 gallons for 54.0 MPG. Previous fill up was 357/5.6/42.5 and the following fill up was 361/7.5/48.1