+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Hack again?!

Hack again?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I would agree with

I would agree with everything said in this post having just had the experience myself. My 2006 Prius was giving such good Averagel MPG reports (about 52 mpg), on a recent highway trip, that I did the math based on the Owner's manual specs and tried to run it to a 600 mile range on the tank. (52 mpg x 11.9 gal. = 618 miles) I made it to exactly 561.1 miles. After that, the car did run on the "battery" for about 2 miles at a top speed of about 60mph. As the poster said, this is not recommended. I won't do it again. But a good samaritan and 2.5 gallons of gas in the tank and despite my "abuse" me and the Prius were happily rolling down the road again. With the knowledge that I have now gained both experientially and from these discussions, I never intend to drive a tank more than 450 miles downrange, or to let the fuel gauge "bars" go down to less than 2 before I fill up .... just like the manual says. Otherwise it's been a great little car and is going strong @ 130,000+ miles on it's original batteries. - Chuck in VA

I have a 2008 Prius, just

I have a 2008 Prius, just bought it used. Got a half tank for $10. After driving it for 6 days I saw the gas gage on it's last bar so I put in $9. After driving for 20 min the gas gage still did not go up. Nervous about the comments to not let your car run out of gas I pulled over and put in another $5, still the gas gage hasn't gone up. Any other problems like that? I know sometimes it takes a few min to register that it had gas put in but more than 25 min? I don't remember it doing that when I filled it up the first time.

I have had a 2009 Prius for

I have had a 2009 Prius for two years, about 25,000 miles and never had a problem until recently. I have read through this thread and my problem is similar but not quite like the one experienced here.

A few weeks ago I noticed I had driven 160 miles over 4 separate trips and the gas gauge still read that it was full. Odd, I thought. The gauge eventually caught up and dropped down. No big deal in the long run.

But today's experience really scared me. I left the house with 2 bars. A mile later it was down to 1 bar; 5 miles later the gauge started flashing but THE ALARM DID NOT GO OFF. I just happened to notice the flashing. In the past when it has gotten this low, the alarm has gone off. It didn't go off this time. Doesn't seem that anyone else has had this particular problem.

I filled up and drove, about 80 miles today in several separate trips. Gas gauge still reads as full. Alarm beeped a few times while I was driving, and while the gauge read full. That really freaked me out! I can understand flexible bladder...ok... but suddenly the alarm does not work, and then it malfunctions and goes off while the tank is full?

To the people ridiculing others for waiting to fill up the tank... In my case it is not because I'm hoping to find cheaper gas, but because stopping to get gas is time consuming and I shouldn't have to do it 3 times for each so-called "tank" of gas, getting only a few gallons at a time. Fill up the tank, drive it until the warning light comes on, then fill up again. Has worked for me for 2 years. Not sure what I'll do now.

I have had a 2009 Prius for

I have had a 2009 Prius for two years, about 25,000 miles and never had a problem until recently. I have read through this thread and my problem is similar but not quite like the one experienced here.

A few weeks ago I noticed I had driven 160 miles over 4 separate trips and the gas gauge still read that it was full. Odd, I thought. The gauge eventually caught up and dropped down. No big deal in the long run.

But today's experience really scared me. I left the house with 2 bars. A mile later it was down to 1 bar; 5 miles later the gauge started flashing but THE ALARM DID NOT GO OFF. I just happened to notice the flashing. In the past when it has gotten this low, the alarm has gone off. It didn't go off this time. Doesn't seem that anyone else has had this particular problem.

I filled up and drove, about 80 miles today in several separate trips. Gas gauge still reads as full. Alarm beeped a few times while I was driving, and while the gauge read full. That really freaked me out! I can understand flexible bladder...ok... but suddenly the alarm does not work, and then it malfunctions and goes off while the tank is full?

To the people ridiculing others for waiting to fill up the tank... In my case it is not because I'm hoping to find cheaper gas, but because stopping to get gas is time consuming and I shouldn't have to do it 3 times for each so-called "tank" of gas, getting only a few gallons at a time. Fill up the tank, drive it until the warning light comes on, then fill up again. Has worked for me for 2 years. Not sure what I'll do now.

Update to the above... I

Update to the above... I called the service department at my dealership and described the problem, including the fact that the car did not start beeping when the gauge started flashing. The guy there seemed to think it was no big deal and didn't warrant bringing the car in. I asked on PriusChat and the advice from everyone is never let the gauge go below 2 bars. So, looks like the only 'fix' is to fill up more often.

I have a 2008 Prius with

I have a 2008 Prius with 39000 miles that I purchased new. It has always had the bladder problem but I have not been able to get the dealer or Toyota to do anything about it. Last week I ran out of gas and I had no warning at all. No blinking gas gauge, no audible alarm, no message on display. 12V battery was completely dead. Car had to be towed and it cost me $155 to have them recharge battery and reset computer.

They said there was no reason for them to believe the alarm did not go off. In other words, they are calling me a lier. But that alarm did not go off and the guage did not blink.

After reading hundreds of posts on this site and others about the bladder problem, I really am surprised that there has not been a class action suit.

Sure the Prius is an amazing car but they are not exactly cheap and the gas bladder problem is more than an inconvenience. In my case, if it had died like this with no warning just 12 hours previous, I was on a long, dark, steep, winding road in the mountains and I surely would have been hit from behind with a dead unlighted vehicle.

As a matter of safety, Toyota should fix this problem and stand behind their product.

I have a 2008 Prius with

I have a 2008 Prius with 105,100 miles on it and have never had a problem until now. I was recently rear-ended on the highway and have an appointment with an auto body shop to get the back bumper panel replaced. However, over the last couple of days, my fuel guage has been acting funny. It got down to the blinking light yesterday, but only took about 6.9 gallons of gas to fill it up. Today, after only 150 miles of driving, my fuel guage is now registering 1/2 tank! At first, I thought it might have been due to the accident, and I was preparing to call the insurance agent to add the problem to the estimate for repairs. However, now that I've read the above statements, I'm starting to be convinced that the bladder tank is the culprit. What's strange though, is that I live in Maryland, near the Chesapeake Bay, where temperatures in the winter months can get down into the teens, and this is the first time I've experienced this problem. Quite a coincidence that it should start the week after an accident!

I have ran out of gas on the

I have ran out of gas on the freeway with an 09 prius, you can get about 4 miles on electric dependent on how fast you drive etc.

I had 3 bars left on my 2008

I had 3 bars left on my 2008 Prius. Took only 4 gallons before it stopped(?). Went up to almost full (one bar below full). So I stopped at another station and got another 2.5 gallons in it. First time that has happened. It's cooler now after having the hottest summer on record. Maybe that effected it(?).