+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

I am taking our 2009 Prius

I am taking our 2009 Prius in tomorrow so they can take another look, but after reading these comments I'm not to optimistic that they'll do anything for us...I wish the tech would have educated me the last time I brought it in (about the bladder etc).

I'm pretty sure that our gas level indicator was more representative of the amount of fuel remaining when we first got the car...I may have to accept this as normal but I don't have to be happy about it. I don't think it's too much to ask that an indicator like this, with 10 equal size bars, to represent the fuel level proportionally (ie: 2 out of 10 bars means 2 tenths...2/10ths of a tank....3 bars means 3/10ths etc). It seems misleading...the way this thing operates they might as well just have 3 bars!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The only good news is that

The only good news is that Toyota finally gave up on the fuel bladders, and is using metal tanks for the new 2011 Prius.

There will be, however, no recall, retrofit, conversion, or rebate for the million+ Priii with fuel bladders that don't hold rated capacity.

It's NOT a safety hazard. Just an inconvenience.

As always, don't try to run a Prius fuel tank down to empty. Refuel the car when you still have 2-3 bars left on the "guess gauge".

You are looking at trip

You are looking at trip meters, not the odometer. I have trip meters and odometer. The odometer does not reset. It says 44K. I own a 2007 Prius.

We have a 2004 Prius and we

We have a 2004 Prius and we live in Vermont. We have seen the tank size change seasonally over the years. It is aggravating, but not a problem. We regularly run the tank down to the first bar and until the "fill up soon" warning comes on. We have NEVER run out of gas. Although the tank size varies, the tank guage works just fine.

We have a 2004 Prius and we

We have a 2004 Prius and we live in Vermont. We have seen the tank size change seasonally over the years. It is aggravating, but not a problem. We regularly run the tank down to the first bar and until the "fill up soon" warning comes on. We have NEVER run out of gas. Although the tank size varies, the tank guage works just fine.

I LOVE HYBRID CARS <3 x0x0

I LOVE HYBRID CARS &lt;3 x0x0

I LOVE HYBRID CARS SOOOOO

I LOVE HYBRID CARS SOOOOO MUCHHHH &lt;3 X0X0X

I drive a 2005 Prius. I've

I drive a 2005 Prius. I've never really noticed a big variance in tank capacity or fuel gauge accuracy until recently (I've never really expected great accuracy out of any car's fuel gauge).

On my current tank, I noticed I'd driven 175 miles without any bars going way. That was a curiousity to me, until a few days later, when I noticed I was at 225 miles and was down to one bar on the fuel gauge. I was thinking I'd been siphoned!

I was glad to find this discussion and learn about the rubber bladder for fuel - I'd assumed it was just like most fuel tanks. So I'll definitely be filling up sooner than in the past and relying more on the MPG reading more than before.

A bigger complaint that I have involves the low fuel alarm (and really, the reverse alarm). I'm usually driving to work when it goes off, and don't have a lot of refilling options along the way, so I'll often postpone a fill-up until after work. The fuel alarm goes off every time you start the car (e.g., when backing out of my parking space leaving work), but it sounds at the same time as the 'going in reverse' alarm, which beeps constantly as long as you're in reverse. The result is that the low fuel alarm gets buried in the noise of the reverse alarm and I usually don't notice it.

I've run out of gas 4 times in the Prius, more than in all other cars combined! I recognize this is mostly my fault, but for me, it's a lot easier to remember when I'm driving in reverse than to recall that my fuel alarm went off 9 hours ago. Any other votes to get rid of the reverse alarm, or to play it on the outside of the car where it belongs?

For the most part, I really like my Prius and it's 40+ MPG. I expect to drive it into the ground before trading it in.

I drive an 06 Prious. I have

I drive an 06 Prious. I have run out of gas 4 times now. That's bad enough, but the bigger issue is that after the car runs out of gas, it won't start, even after I put gas in it.

3 times I had to call Tripple A. Twice they had to tow it. One time we put 7.5 gallons of fuel in the tank before the car would start. I don't know what the problem is but I speculate there is a sensor that prevents the car from attempting to start if it does not detect fuel, and that sensor is faulty.

I now fill up the tank when I I guess it is about half full. The fuel guage is completely useless.

Hopefully hypbrid cars in

Hopefully hypbrid cars in the future will be better and better. They are still fairly new and I hear of problems all the time. Like everything, adjustments will be made and improvements will happen in time.