+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

You don't really need to use

You don't really need to use a trip odometer, the mileage display in the center console display resets itself to 0 every time you fill up.

What you DO need to do, is hit the reset button to reset the average mileage to 0. so that you get an accurate mileage reading for THAT tank full of gas. The "miles driven" resets to 0 when you fill up. but the average MPG reading holds over from fill-up to fill-up until you reset it manually. Lets you get average mileage reading for longer trips with multiple tanks of gas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I just sat here for an hour

I just sat here for an hour and read all the comments on this forum! I'm really glad I did because I had no idea about this gas tank problem. I had my heart set on getting a Prius for my next car, but now I'm not so sure. Seems like even though everyone here has the same problem, you are divided into 2 opposite camps: love the car or hate it! So now I don't know what to do. Does anyone here know if the Honda Civic Hybrid or any other hybrids have this problem also? I am new to hybrids, so I need all the advice I can get before I buy one! Help!

Can't help but laugh at all

Can't help but laugh at all the people here who have been taken for a proverbial ride. So what if you can only get 6-7 gallons of gas in the tank. It lets you know when you need to fill up. The gas gauge shows the ratio of gas left in the car. Even at 300 miles per tank (what I get on 6 gallons), that is the same or more than many cars on the road. Don't listen to the lawyers at consumeraffairs, they are just out there to try and scare people into filing a class action lawsuit. This is a great, reliable car. My next car will be another Prius. Side note: it was just rated one of the most reliable family cars on the road by Car and Driver!

The gas gauge on the Prius

The gas gauge on the Prius is only a minor problem in an otherwise FUN little car to drive.

The REAL question is: Do you really want to put 20+ gallons in a SUV every week?

Or 4 gallons in a Prius.

I just purchased a used 2005

I just purchased a used 2005 prius with 63,000 miles. I drove it a couple hours home from the dealership and the mpg gauge read that I was averaging 41-43 mpg. When I went to go fuel the car, it wouldn't accept any gas and when I finally got gas to go in (by not inserting the fuel nozel all the way in), it spit gas back at me. The day started out at -12 and ended at 12. I hit the reset button after only being able to fill the tank 1/2 way. The car then read that I was only averaging 35 mpg. Did I ourchase a lemon? Why is my mpg so low???

The MPG gauge registers the

The MPG gauge registers the actual fuel flow thru the engine, second by second. And divides it by the miles driven on the odometer.

there are a WIDE number of factors that effect the second-by-second mileage. Not the least of which is terrain. You would be suprised how just a little slope will add or subtract from your mileage.

From Buffalo, NY to NY city is 400 miles, with a 600 foot change in elevation. Including a little tail wind from Buffalo, I always get better mileage going downhill and down wind, than on the return trip.

Mileage is also drastically affected by the length of the trips (longer the trip, more MPG) and the air temperature (both affect how long it takes the engine to warm up).

To get accurate mileage, use your weekly mileage readings, and always on round trips, not one-way trips.

Then you get to start working on your driving style to improve the mileage.

Check with Toyota on a possible recall on your 2005. there was a recall regarding defective tank filler necks that made it difficult to fill the tank.

I just filled up my 2009

I just filled up my 2009 Prius for the first time today and I quickly learned one thing about it - don't pay attention to the gas pump shutting off as an indicator as to having a full tank. I went to the station with 2 bars remaining on my gague (which, after reading this forum I probably won't let it get that low anymore) and began pumping gas. 41 cents later, the gas quit pumping. I began pumping gas again. 13 cents later, it shut off again. This happened again three or four times with far less than a gallon being pumped in each time before the gas pump shutting off. Finally I started pumping gas in at very slowly and was able to coax 9.3 gallons into my car. I was unsure about how large the gas tank was (and didn't want to go back out to my car to look it up because it was storming outside and I don't have a garage) I found this site saying that the approximate capacity is 11.9 gallons. Seeing that the fuel gauge obviously isn't accurate, I can't really know how many gallons were left in the tank when I began filling it up, but at the time 9.3 gallons seemed "about right."

I know that many people are against "topping off" the tank, but I wonder if the problem with not being able to get more than 6 or 7 gallons in when the fuel gauge says they're on empty is a combination of a contracting fuel bladder and the gas pump "thinking" that your car is already full when it's really not.

I have a 2008 Prius. I ran

I have a 2008 Prius. I ran out of gas on I95 in northern N CArolina. Outside temperature was in the high 90s. The gas gauge dropped from 2 boxes to 1 box. The alarm sounded and 5 miles later I ran out. Luckily I was at an exit when this happened. Red triangle warning light came on as did the check engine. The pump shut off with only 9.634 gallons so I don't know where the other 2 plus gallons would be found if you believe that the tank holds 11.9 gallons.
    I contacted Toyota headquarters and got the same answer from each individual I spoke with. The issue is with the type of fuel tank. the gauge is not that accurate. the local dealerhip just said that is the nature of a bladder inside the fuel tank. Toyota refuses to admit there is a problem, yet have changed the tank beginning in 2009.
    Other than this issue, great car!

Just finished talking to

Just finished talking to Toyota about my 2007 Prius gas tank. For the first 2 years, I could often get 11 gallons in the tank. Starting last winter, the max I can get in is 8.3 gallons - on a hot day when I have driven greater than 100 miles and topped off the tank and let it get down to 1 flashing bar. I have had it to the dealer 2 times but they said everything is working fine - sensors etc. Just finished talking to Toyota company rep - and was told that it is "normal" and that "you don't have a problem". I guess they don't have a problem but I DO have a problem as I live in Montana - a cold state where I drive long distances and the gas stations close at night in rural areas. Although this is not a "problem", it has been fixed on the latest mode. I was told I could go to arbitration but would lose as it is "normal" and "you don't have a problem." Any thoughts?

Bottom line- There is

Bottom line- There is nothing you can do, and there is nothing you can force Toyota to do.

A "small" fuel tank is NOT a safety hazard. So the government will do nothing.

All Prius owners live with the fact that the car only holds 8 gallons of fuel in the winter, and take comfort in the fact that those 8 gallons take them FURTHER than the SUV with the 25 gallon tank.

The only good news in this situation, is that Toyota has finally abandoned the bladder tank. The new 2010 Prius is equipped with a solid metal tank and vapor recovery system.