+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Prius fuel gauge is

Prius fuel gauge is sometimes called a "guess gauge".

DO NOT run the car down to the last bar on the gas tank, or count on the little flashing "low fuel" light to warn you in time.

Toyota does not brag (or even officially admit) to the inaccuracy of their fuel gauge, but they DO say to refuel the car when the gas
    gauge shows 1/4 tank remaining.

I would strongly suggest NEVER allowing the car to go below 2 bars remaining on the fuel gauge.

The good news is that there are some unconfirmed reports of Priuses (Prii?) being able to drive themselves up to two miles on the electric motor alone when the gas engine ran out of fuel.

NOT recommmended!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have a 2008 Prius, is

I have a 2008 Prius, is there an aftermarket tank available with higher capacity?

Probably not. The whole idea

Probably not. The whole idea of the fuel bladder is to avoid dealing with the fuel vapor problem.

EPA requires that the car recover and burn off all the fuel vapors produced in the fuel tank.

The problem is that with a gas engine that does not run for prolonged periods, the car cannot recycle fuel vapors.

So they use a flexable bladder with no open space for vapors to gather.

I've filled the tank on my

I've filled the tank on my 2008 twice. The first time the fuel alert light came on (with two bars), and I drove about 30 miles before I filled the tank. It took 9.8 gals that time. Then, about a week and a half later, the light came on again (only one bar this time), but the car died after about 6 miles! Fortunately, I was near an exit with a parking lot (this was around midnight). I'll keep an eye on the bars, but it doesn't seem to be consistent even when the temperature is. Ticks me off.

I have a 2008 Prius. I live

I have a 2008 Prius. I live in Southern California, so no worries about temperature. I ran out of gas on the freeway last weekend and the car lost all power. I pulled over, turned the car off, restarted it, and was able to drive to a gas station just off of the battery (about 1 mile away). The empty 11.9 gallon tank only took 10.8 gallons. I would suggest filling up at 420 miles (10.9 gallons * 39 miles per gallon -- conservative).

I bought a 2008 Prius in

I bought a 2008 Prius in March. Love the car. I have been slowly getting my average MPG up to 47.3 (I have not hit the reset button since I purchased it).

However, everyone's concern with the Prius fuel gage and tank capacity is correct - I have the same problem.

Is each 'box' or square on the fuel meter suppose to be one gallon, or some other number? Or, just an indicator? This morning, I filled up first at 8.8 gallons, then added up to 8.9 gallons, and then 9.0 gallons before I got tired of trying to top off the tank.

The dealership also never told me about this issue, but it must be going on since at least the 2004 model. It would benefit Toyota's reputation for honesty if they did note that the 11.9 gallon capacity varies with temperature, and to refill the car when people hit that last square on the fuel indicator.

Most of the time, you can go about 415 miles or so between fill ups, with 'normal' Prius driving. But, just like it's mentioned above, when you get close to the empty side, just go ahead and fill it up anyways - no need to push the limits of the tank.

FYI - when the fuel pump sucks up the last bit of fuel in a tank, sometimes the "bad stuff" that is in fuel (many tiny bits and pieces of anything from the time the oil is made into gas, until it reaches your car) get sucked into the fuel pump and filter. Now, 99% of this stuff is either filtered or burned away, but sometimes it will adversely affect your fuel pump's performance, and other system / engine components. This may eventually cause the overall MPG average to begin to drop because of fuel system degradation.

Best thing to do - keep in mind when you get to the last box or 2 to fill up. It will still cost you a lot LESS then driving a SUV or big truck! I only paid about $30 for my fill up this morning at $3.54 per gallon. If I had my 98 GMC Sierra with about 24 gallons to fill up, I would be paying something like $80 or more every 5 - 7 days.

Steve C. says: 4 days ago I

Steve C. says:
    4 days ago
    I bought a 2008 Prius in March. Love the car. I have been slowly getting my average MPG up to 47.3 (I have not hit the reset button since I purchased it).
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Just curious: What effect (other than the obvious) would hitting the reset button have? I hit the reset button last time I filled up (which was the first time I filled up) just because I wanted to track the mileage from fill-up. (I like that display better than the odometer trip display.) My average MPH is about the same as it was before I reset. Is it a bad idea to reset? Thanks.

Jay

I meant "MPG" in the above

I meant "MPG" in the above post.

hitting the reset button on

hitting the reset button on the "consumption" screen has NO EFFECT whatsoever on the car's operation.

It's just like a resettable trip odometer, it just lets you keep track of your fuel consumption.

I just found this and am

I just found this and am still on my first tank of fuel from the dealer on my 08. I am at 1 bar and am now worried I may run out on my way to fill up.