+ Reply to Thread

Keyless entry - dead after 5 years?

Original owner of 03 HCH.

Both keyless entry keychains don't work now. Replaced batteries, cleaned contacts, still doesn't work.

I tried a cursory search on the forum, and didn't find anything on this topic.

What have you all found?

MSantos?

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy new ones..... yes, or no?

Thanks,

jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

You can certainly buy new

You can certainly buy new remotes from the dealer but a pair of replacements will be a little expensive. You can also order from an online keyless retailer such as this one for a fraction of the OEM price:

http://www.keylessride.com/order/cho...03&model=Civic

...BUT...

I find it very odd that both remotes happen to not work simultaneously. Unless they were dropped in a bucket of water at the same time, the likelihood that they are both bad at the same time is VERY low.

... which leaves the MICU or the RF receiver module (IKCU) as the most likely suspects. What this means is that you may need to take it to the dealer and have them do a MICU test (as it may be a simple connection issue), or test the transmitter/receiver with the car plugged in to their HDS station.

In any case, the immobilizer keyless control unit (IKCU, mounted on the driver's side of the dash) contains the built-in receiver and is often the component that gets replaced in these scenarios. Again, only the dealer can replace the IKCU as the HDS is needed to view and program the security code for your remotes. If I recall correctly, the IKCU costs roughly as much as a pair of new OEM remotes.

Good luck;

MSantos

Dude..... You are a god... I

Dude.....

You are a god...

I will burn incense to you...

:O

Thanks,

jake