+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Braking

Braking

I've got about 3k miles on my 2008 HCHII. Overall I'm satisfied with it and I'm averaging about 39 MPG with winter tires on (one drive in the white stuff convinced me the OEM tires had to take a rest during the winter). About the only item I'm not satisfied with is the braking. It isn't very linear and I'm sure it has to do with the regenerative brakes but I had borrowed a friends HCHI a while back and it did not exhibit the same behavior. Basically, when I first apply the brakes I get "full" power but as I glide to a stop it feels like a switch is thrown and I lose braking power and have to press harder for it to return. Doesn't make for very smooth stops and I can't see my daughter take this on as her first car in a few years. Is this the switch from regen to traditional? I had read in one forum that this lessens over time but I still have it 3k miles later. Any advice? Other than that the car has been flawless.

Stosh

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Temperature affects the

Temperature affects the transition of the regenerative braking to hydraulic because the CVT is the primary component that makes it all happen. In the cold weather, these transitions can be a bit more pronounced and may appear a little more noticeable when compared to an HCH-1 because the HCH-1 regen would cut off sooner in the deceleration process. In an attempt to capture more regenerative energy, the HCH-II cuts the regen a little later.

The best way to handle this brake system transition, especially when the vehicle is still going through its break-in period, is to apply anticipatory pressure on the brake pedal so as to ease the bluntness of the transfer to hydraulic braking.

You can always offer your daughter a "knowledge transfer session" before she starts driving your car. This will at least give her a clue of what is the best way of ensuring a trouble free operation of the vehicle.

Cheers;

MSantos

"Is this the switch from

"Is this the switch from regen to traditional?"

I think that's exactly what you're experiencing. It's a little disconcerting, but you get used to it.

One other time I notice this "letting go" is going down a steep hill with the charge state reaching 100%. When this happens the green charging bars will suddenly diminish, and then cease. And at this point you'll find you have to apply a fair bit more pressure: the electric motor is disengaged, no longer helping to slow you down.

One thing, these cars seem to go a long way on a set of brake pads.