+ Reply to Thread

'01 Prius Battery Problems

I bought a used 01 Prius about 6 months ago and occasionally have problems with the battery: completely dead after not having been driven after only a week; and more recently, the battery seems to lose its charge if I haven't turned off the radio or wipers or heater, etc. when I turn off the car.

When the car is off, these small things shouldn't draw power from the battery, should they?

Fortunately, AAA gives me a jump when this happens, but I'm afraid they're going to stop rescuing me. Alternately, how much does a recharger for a hybrid cost?

Any thoughts, insights, or cost-saving info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

BTW, my Prius has 112,000

BTW, my Prius has 112,000 miles on it. What is the standard lifetime for a 2001 Prius battery?

I presume you are talking

I presume you are talking about the small 12v battery under the right side of the trunk that supplies the computers, ect with electrical power. Not the larger 200v battery that drives the car's motor.

Like all lead acid 12v batteries, the Prius battery has a definite life span. Off the top of my head, 7 years is a good life for a lead acid battery.

Prius uses a BASTARD, NON-STANDARD battery terminal. And they charge $$$ for a replacement 12v battery.

But the simple fact is that you can buy a 12v battery at any auto part's store, and put it in the Prius as long as you have the adapters for the battery cables.

Some people have just cut off the Prius battery ends, and put on standard battery terminals.

Other solution is look at some on-line store selling after market parts for Prius. They sell battery terminal adapters that allow standard USA car batteries to be put in a Prius.