+ Reply to Thread

This is what I want

Ok I'm and old time grease monkey and still love the old muscle. Nothing better than the sound and the raw energy of an old American V8. However my daily driver is a 1997 Jeep wrangler and it will stay that way. For everything I have to do and the places I go and the weather i have to do it in its perfect.But this is what I like to do to it. Hook up a direct drive electric motor to the transfercase so just like a fork lift the more you push the pedal down the faster it goes. Now I dont know what the torque output of the elec motor would be but I guess you could always gear it down on the axles or put a low geared doubler in it. I dont do any highway driving its all secondary and dirt roads so top speed around 55 would be the max I need. I do see some real problems ,how long would it last? wouldn't want it to quit on me in the middle of nowhere when it 5 degrees outside. That brings up the cold prob with batteries too. OK so first I would put a gas, ethanol or propane powered generator in the engine compartment above the electric motor. I'm sure someone is going to say diesel but ever tried starting one when its 5 degrees out I dont care if it has glow plugs there a reason why people just leave diesels running when it cold out. So the Genny is going to provide extra juice for the batteries. Now as far as the batteries are concerned I would make compartments for them not just one but many spread out on the jeep some in engine compartment some in the rear floor and up threw the floor one layer of the height of the batteries yeah I lose some room but thats ok. The gas tank would be reduced to maybe a 5 gallon for the genny. All the compartments would have some kind of electric heat in them so when I plug it in a night to charge the batts the compartment would stay warm. All the batt compartments would be sealed with vents that run to the electric motor and genny compartments which would also be completely sealed and they would have two vents an air intake and exhaust basically just and air exchanger that are hooked up to two snorkels that run to the roof. So If I could do this and get 100 miles of the initial charge then with the genny get 6 full charges off of it thats 600 miles I know this might be stretching it but maybe not I can run a 3000 watt genny for 6-8 hours on 3 gallons. If it was possible thats 120 miles a gallon. I really want it to be a propane genny runs more efficient. Just for a last little note for anyone reading this. I am not some green tree hugging peta... I love noisy smoke inducing smelly gas sucking V8s. But everyone wants to save money and I hate giving money to the oil producers over there(I'm trying to be nice) Also the technology that is going to make things "green" well its going to come from and be be built by the guys and girls with grease under there finger nails and that understands the "feeling" for are beloved gas V8. So you want to make cars cleaner great I with you but leave are classics out of it. There not just a car. God bless America and may we always be free.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

ROP, I like your ideas. I

ROP,
    I like your ideas. I hope for the day when we can get all kinds of vehicle with a good, solid, plug-in parallel hybrid drivetrain as you are describing. You don't need to worry about torque with an electric. Electric motors can provide more torque than anything that burns dead dinosaurs.
    Speed shouldn't be a problem either. Single speed electric motors can easily drive speeds over 100 mph while still providing ample torque at low speeds (0-60 in 4 seconds or less).
    And let's not even talk about low-speed control. Electric motors, like the forklifts you describe, have no hesitation and complete control of the torque with the accelerator pedal. Although I never tried it with my old EV1, I can assure you that you'd love crawling over rocks with the sure-footed feel of an electric motor.
    Electric motors can easily be designed to be much more reliable than an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) since they have very few moving parts. They only have the 2 bearings, a fixed reduction gear, the differential and U-joints just like any other vehicle.
    You also probably wouldn't have to worry about a diesel genny in the cold if you have a good, strong traction battery. If the engine computer detects that it is cold out, it could simply put whatever the traction battery has in it into starting the ICE. Once the ICE is going, it can be run as needed to keep things warm.
    At slow speeds, where the aerodynamics of a Jeep won't hurt you too much, you should easily be able to get over 100 mpg with gasoline and even more with diesel.
    I love it but will warn you that a homebuilt as you describe is going to take you a lot of work. Hopefully, the manufacturers will get going in this direction some time.
    Let's save the gasoline for our antiques and quit wasting it on the essentials.

I like both of your ideas. I

I like both of your ideas. I own a Prius and am tired of the compromises. It is good to know that the concept of electric-first, with a back up generator is technologically feasible and cost-effective. I am disappointed that this vehicle is not commercially available.

Jim K.

I think a great conversion

I think a great conversion kit would be one that would include the basics for converting older gas engine cars into electrics. The problem is the batteries are not yet there (though I think they will be in another 10 years or so).

You certainly get a lot more instantaneous power from an electric, and if you don't have long driving requirements you could make it work.

But if you're a grease monkey like I am, and enjoy torqueing on a car, why not try a hydrogen generator conversion? I was surprised at how well they work. I immediately got a 40% increase in mileage using about a liter of water a week.

That is NOT on some little eco car. It's in my full size 3/4 ton Chevy Express van with a 5.7 liter engine. My friend just doubled up his generators (put 2 in) and has gone from 10 MPG to 22MPG!

Smaller cars do even better. We have a project car I'm working on now 2008 Mazda M3 - we should be able to get 60 MPG when finished. That's better than any Hybrid for less than $1000 total costs (I have designed a much more robust kit for this project)

Now, I'm like you. I LOVE the rumble of a good hi performance cam as the American muscle sits there loping. My first car was a 73 Camaro- man I loved that car.

But I HATE being manipulated by the Big Oil companies and wanted to fight back. I spent 6 months researching and building.

I documented it and teach others how too. You could convert to a Hydrogen Generator you can build yourself for a couple hundred dollars total. It saves gas, cleans emissions, and gives a slight increase in Horsepower (maybe 5-8%).

You're handy with your hands- I'm telling you, you'd love this thing!

Try it out, you will be amazed at how simple it is for the results you get.

Bob
    Increase Gas Mileage-Use Water 4 Fuel

So, what is stopping you

So, what is stopping you from building this jeep the way you want to. Seems like you already have a plan in place so lets get er done so to speak. And let us know what you encounter at every step.

I like your idea.It seems

I like your idea.It seems like you already have a plan.I wish you good luck in pursuing your ambitious plan.