+ Reply to Thread

engine stall when punching pedal

I own a 2004 Prius. Occasionally, when I punch the gas pedal, the car stalls for a second - then takes off. This is partcularly troublesome when merging onto highway traffic. Does anyone else experience this? Has toyota diagnosed this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

none

none

Is the engine stalling, or

Is the engine stalling, or is it hesitating?

There is a slight hesitation as the Prius switches from electric to ICE proplusion. Less than a second. This is normal.

Is there a problem with the gas engine portion of your propulsion system? Is the gas engine failing to start and run normally?

The fact that you use the word "punch" for accelerating makes me suspect you are trying to do something the Prius was never designed for. The Prius is not designed to be a race car, or win drag races.

If you are looking for instantanious, high power acceleration you bought the wrong car.

the stall/hesitation I

the stall/hesitation I experience occurs when stopped and then trying to merge quickly, as onto the expressway. So it sounds like the system s/b/going from ICE to electric. The auto never fails to start and always runs normally -- except for this "glitch".

No hot rodding for this driver

You are probly exceeding the

You are probly exceeding the threshold of the traction control system. It is trying to save you from yourself by not letting you spin your tires. My '07 does the same thing. I might suggest you either get up earlier, or perhaps wear smaller shoes. Best of luck!