+ Reply to Thread

My First New Car is a 2008 Civic Hybrid

I got it at the beginning of the month and for the most part am happy with.
    I'm just not sure if I've still got the new car jitters.

As for the mileage I hear it gets better once you've put on some miles, at about 3-4 thousand, is this correct?
    Currently I'm at about 32-33mpg.

Just recently it sounds like there is a lot fluid sloshing around in back when I come to complete stop, put it park and/or turn the car off. Seems like it's coming from the battery. I know the battery makes a sound when you turn the car off but this is a different sound and it sounds like it's coming from the battery. Hope that explanation makes sense?

Since the first week I've owned the car, there is an annoying rattling coming from the dashboard.
    It seems to bounce around from the vents to somewhere around the gages. And it's not the buzzing that comes from the charge and assist meter.

I'm sure I'll have more questions to come but for now this is what I've got.
    Any input would be much appreciated.

Also I know I still qualify for the tax cut, but how or where do I apply for it?

In case I forget my password thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I forgot to add, that my

I forgot to add, that my engine seems to be getting louder the more I use the car.
    I've put about 900 miles on it thus far and got it the 1st week of January if this means anything.

Tax credit is $1,050. See

Tax credit is $1,050. See www.irs.gov for details. You will apply for credit when you file your 2008 taxes in early 2009.

Hi Scatch, and welcome

Hi Scatch, and welcome !!

Given the information you have provided at CleanMPG, I believe the mileage you are getting is not that far off from justifiable. Frequent stopping and going is a true fuel economy killer. But, there are still MANY things we can do to improve your mileage, just tells us more and ask away !!!

Your fuel tank is right under the IPU (where the battery resides). That sloshing noise may be the gas in the tank.

How cold has it been in your area? If it is very cold, then it is normal for some interior trim pieces to shrink and produce some noises.

I am not a US citizen so I am not totally familiar with your tax code, but Thompson is ....

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks I thought I could

Thanks I thought I could apply for it for this years taxes.
    I'll just have to wait
    Thanks

When I bought the car they

When I bought the car they said not floor it or rev the engine for the 1st 1000 miles.
    So I've been making sure I don't let the rpm meter go past 3000 but I was told I can go up to no more than 4000rpm's
    Thanks

That is right. It is very

That is right.
    It is very important that the initial part of the break-in process be made up of sub 3000 rpm and steady driving regimes, devoid of abrupt accellerations and stops. Since the car has a drive-by-wire throttle it is even more important to control the gas pedal carefully as even the slightest input can cause a large output, and feather the pedal it as much as possible. This will make the initial thermal break-in of the engine and other components (including brakes) as evenly distributed as distributed as possible.

Cheers;

MSantos