+ Reply to Thread

HYbrid Civic Lemon

Dear members... I am the owner of a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.... I've had nothing but problems and problems with malfunctioning drivers window, noisy tires, and terrible gas mileage... 23 MPG city, 30+ MPG Highway. I envy those who get 50-60 MPG's. Have I got a lemon on my hand? The dealership's service department is so incompetent. They can't find anything wrong with the car... I have read everything conceivable and tried everything to keep the gas-mileage down, but nothing seems to work. Help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your

Sorry to hear about your experiences.

Have you tried another dealer?

As you can tell by reading many of the posts in this forum, things are not always that easy and simple. Sometimes we have to be careful in describing a car as a lemon because as you said dealers cannot find anything wrong with the car.

As an example, in some cases I've met with owners who were dissatisfied with their car. Soon after, I went for a quick drive with them and sure enough they got really lousy mileage - as per their complaints. Then I took them for a little drive in their car and... I got 50+ MPG. They could not believe it and from that point on they realized that having driven many other cars before and doing so for decades is not a guarantee for success when driving a high fuel economy hybrid. But, there are also times where the car is definitely faulty. So without knowing more, we still have to be fair.
    Either way, help us help you.

Could you gives us a bit more information? For instance:
    -Driving distances
    -Your driving speeds (city and highway).
    -Traffic patterns you drive in (proportion of highway vs city)
    -Weather and temperatures in your area
    -Topography
    -Gas brands
    -Your tire pressures
    -Anything else like (warm-up idling in colder days).

The more information you provide the better it is.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hi Dilly, I can certainly

Hi Dilly, I can certainly relate to you. I hope you have better luck with your dealer that I have been having. My gas mileage on the '06 HCH is real bad, and I have tried everything possible to keep it down. 33MPH Max on HIghway, using Cruise Control and also placing the car in "N" going down hills. City driving is worse, 23 MPG, sometimes 25. I feel sorry that I traded my 03 Accord in order to Go Green, and help the environment. I was averaging 43-48 MPG's in my Accord. Much smoother ride, and less trips to the Dealership. I'm really frustrated. Hopefully the next few days, I'll have some answers.

Gman1964: Here's a quote

Gman1964:

Here's a quote from your last post:
    "using Cruise Control and also placing the car in "N" going down hills."

This is precisely what you SHOULD NOT do.

Avoid the use of the Cruise control on hilly terrain. Period.
    That will kill your fuel economy for sure. Instead use the DWL technique mentioned in Tarabell's article. Cruise control is only adequate for steady state cruising on level roads.

Also, when going down-hill you should not switch to N at all. Never do this, as in some localities it is even illegal. When you switch to "N" you are not regenerating when braking is needed either. This will also become a fuel economy hit.

Intead, "feather" the gas pedal as indicated in Tarabell's article and "Glide your car". Gliding is the key to the fuel economy greatness of the HCH-II. That is what the engineers meant it for, and that's what you should be using.

So far, we've nailed yet another two significant improvements you can make.

BTW: Here's yet another link to Tarabell's article.
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Cheers;

MSantos