+ Reply to Thread

No power in 4wd on beach & snow ?

A wierd thing happended this weekend while testing the 4WD capabilities on a beach. This weekend we recieved our first snowfall here and I wanted to try to go out on the beach with my 4wd escape.

I think I understand from some of the road tests why this happens (the computer overrides accelerator requests) but the vechicle when it get stuck seems to not be able to use the full engine power to extricate itself.

For instance I drove a small way off the parking lot to start on trail heading out on the beach. The first part had a small pothole (less than 1'). The vechicle would NOT go climb the pothole even in LOW gear.

when going into reverse even less power.

The RPM's never get beyond 1500rpm. I spent about 20 harrowing mins rocking back forth to get back to the parking lot (I only ventured about 30' off the pavement)

Now it should be noted I did some beach trails several weeks earlier and did not have similiar problems but did not try to drive at slow speeds on the trails.

It shoiuld be noted that the vechicle was NOT hightpointed NOR were the wheels losing traction (as I was directly observing them as I was trying to rock out of the depression/hole)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

i had a similar loss of power when trying to reverse up an 'intense' sf hill. the car just wouldn't give me any juice. luckily I had enough room in front of me roll forward for most of the entry back into the street. i was parking (parallel style) facing down hill on a very steep hill in Russian Hill. I will try and recreate it this week under 'safe' conditions -- no cars in front or behind me.

played with it a bit today. reversing up a steep incline. it wasn't as severe as the other day. I parked, put the parking brake on, and turned off the car. waited a minute (radio was on -- I do like that feature -- where the nav system/radio stays on until you open the door)

when I started the Escape up and hit reverse I had no problems at all. I do find that the Hybrid escape 'rolls against the transmission' more than other SUVs I've owned.

For example, when parked as described above (facing down a steep hill), as I start the car and put it in reverse, if I do not keep my foot on the brakes the car will roll forward (even though it is in reverse). My Cherokees and my S-10 Blazer were usually pretty solid in those types of situations.

Is there a technical reason for this? (maybe something to do with the traditional motor being off when I am stopped, idling, or moving slowly)

In the Escape (and the Prius) the ICE cannot contribute any effort to driving in reverse. All power for reverse movements must come from the electric motors/generators. In a conventional car with automatic transmission the idling engine puts enough energy into the torque converter to hold the vehicle on the incline, depending on how steep the grade is. In the hybrid, this effect is simulated for forward motion but I don't know if they bothered doing the same for reverse...

Does the Escape have traction control? What could be happening is it's spinning one tire and cutting engine power to try to stop the spinning, thus limiting the power available to any wheels.

it's possible though highly doubtfull as the terrain was not terribly challenging from truck standpoint. In directly viewing both driver's side wheels there was no detectable traction problems. Upon investigation of passenger side wheels there seemed to be no slippage there either.

I have engaged someone @ ford that is supposed be forwarding the issue on to someone in engineering.

Stay Tuned.

I live in the Adirondacks, and bought a 4wd escape hybrid in May, have about 10,000 miles on it, and don't have a clear understanding of how the Intelligent 4wd system works. Had our first significant snow of the year last night (10/25/05), and while the car performed well, there was no indication anywhere that it was in 4WD. For example, the engine power distribution graphic does not show power (electric or gas) being distributed to rear wheels, even though it shows clearly which engine is driving the front wheels. Am I missing something? I'm not exactly Mr. Mechanic, and I'm used to Expedition and Toyota Tacoma 4wd systems, where driver controls 4wd. I read one description that suggests that the hybrid is always in 4wd, and then a technical discussion about front and rear differential, that seemed to say, power is automatically distributed to wheels which require it. Can someone enlighten me before I go scream at Ford? Also, I can't seem to lock the rear hatch window. When I lock the car, and return, the window opens, and the alarm sounds. Normally we don't lock anything up here in the mountains, including the front door to the house, as there is no crime to speak of. Still, when I go to Montreal, it would be nice to lock the car! Also, is there any advantage to 89 or 91 octane, as opposed to 87, for the Hybrid? By the way, I'm averaging 25-29 mpg, and am somewhat of a lead foot. This forum's great!

Computers control the AWD

Computers control the AWD system in the Escape Hybrid. There is no light to indicate when it is in AWD but you should be able to feel changes. There is no way to lock it. You don't want it in AWD all the time because it will take an additonal hit on mileage.

You'r wasting money by purchasiing 89, 91 or even 93 octane gasoline.

We are experiencing one of

We are experiencing one of the snowiest winters we've had here in southern Wisconsin in a long, long time and I have been very impressed with the 4WD system on our 2008 FEH. It engages seemlessly and just plain works well. I've driven in snow up to about 6-7'' deep and it feels more like driving on dry pavement.

As an aside, I also find the braking system to operate smoother and more unobtrusively than any previous ABS system we have owned.