+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid - worth owning if drive 95% highway?

I am thinking about a hybrid car, either civic or prius. My question is that I drive about 120 miles a day, 4 days a week and it is all highway. I drive about 75 to 85 miles an hour. Please any help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

A serious hybrid (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford) is going to use less gas than the comparable pure Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) car regardless of the kind of driving you do. At 75 or 85 mph, you won't get the advertised EPA mpg but you won't get that with a pure (ICE) car either. From experience, an '03 Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH) gets about 44 mpg at 75 mph average highway only (no airconditioning). Prius and new HCH will be better.
    If you must drive 120 miles per day, you're really going to appreciate the hybrid when you get to the gas station. You also won't have to change the oil as often.

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius Touring and get REAL MPG of 45-49.
    My area is 60% highway, 40% city driving, with some hilly areas.
    I keep a log and divide miles driven into the galloons purchased. The MPG display on the screen has been very accurate so far.

mypineprius, I bet you don't

mypineprius,
    I bet you don't drive between 75 and 85 mph like aegeorge expects to though.

hey men!! who's speaking

hey men!! who's speaking french here???
    we're in a boring english class....
    helppppp

thxbye