+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I have a 2008 Mercury

I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid with 55,000 miles on it and have had loss of power assist in the steering since day one. The dealer replaced the steering column (which includes the electric steering motor) 8 months ago. All was well for a short period of time but now there is no power assist when getting close to the steering stops (left and right). The dealer now says that the steering column needs to be replaced again and that there has been an change in the part as it is listed under a different part number from the previous column that was installed. Ford must know that there is a problem with the steering but will not admit it. Luckily I have an extended warranty that has been covering the repairs that the vehicle has needed (I have had quite a few problems with this vehicle.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I HAVE A 2008 ESCAPE

I HAVE A 2008 ESCAPE XLS...NOT HYBRID...BUT SAME ISSUES AS STATED ABOVE. AT APPROX. 76,000 POWER STEERING WENT OUT WITHOUT US KNOWING AND WE NEARLY COLLIDED WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE WHEN TURNING INTO A GAS STATION. SOMETIMES IT CAN BE 'RESET" WHEN TURNIGN THE CAR OFF AND ON AND MOVING THE STEERING WHEEL BACK AND FORTH. SOMETIMES THIS DOESN'T HELP AT ALL AND THE POWER STEERING STAYS OFF. THIS IS DANGEROUS AS YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT WILL GO OUT. WE FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE NHTA HERE: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ AND ENCOURAGE ANY AND ALL WITH THE SAME COMPLAINT TO DO SO, AS WELL AS REPORT IT TO FORD.

I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid

I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid at the dealer with ~63,000 miles due to some squeaking when turning my steering wheel. They said I need a new steering rack along with sway bars, outter tie rods and lower control arms.

The steering failed on my

The steering failed on my new 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. The car was less than 2 weeks old and had just over 1,000 miles. Scary. Happened on the freeway at high speed. Managed to get it off and parked without incident. Dealer said they'd fixed it ("re-programmed"), but car is now wandering from right to left to right again when travelling at high speeds on the straight. Impossible to keep control of, need both hands and strength to hold. Returned it to the Ford Dealer who is waiting for instructions from Ford HQ on how to fix problem. Happily, I purchased premium care - meaning that Ford pays. But that does not help my safety if it happens again and I can't compensate for loss of electrical steering.

Gary, When you refer to the

Gary, When you refer to the 2 "modules" above, in positions 25 and 32 of the power distribution box, do you mean that they are the power steering control modules (PSCMs) themselves, or just the 50 amp fuses that supply the PSCM elsewhere in the system? The electric assist for power steering on my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid has failed completely, and the Ford dealer has ordered a new PSCM (part # 6M6Z-3F881-A, $576.40), and says installation of the module will cost $284.80. This seems ridiculously expensive for both parts and labor to essentially just change a fuse, or even two. While I can find listings for the part online, I can't find a picture of it, so don't know whether it's just one of those little black cube-shaped fuses you're referring to or not.

After waiting for nearly 2

After waiting for nearly 2 months for the wire harness to come back in stock, the thing was replaced. That was mid-February 2011. It is now late August 2011 and the steering problem has happened again. My 2009 FEH is back at the service department.

I no longer feel safe driving this car. I can no longer trust that the repairs will fix the problem. My and my passengers' safety is my first concern. I wish it were Ford's concern, too.

I have a 2010 Mazda 6 with

I have a 2010 Mazda 6 with 8400 miles on it. The power steering powered down. I took it to the dealer and it had pink foam in the pump. It is not an electric pump. Any thoughts?

I've had the Electric Power

I've had the Electric Power Assist steering fail on my twice in our 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Ford dealer says "there's nothing wrong". Don't feel safe driving it -- especially after reading some of these comments. Am submiting a complaint to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

My 2006 Mercury Mariner (

My 2006 Mercury Mariner ( Escape/Tribute ) HYBRID has no P/S fluid since it has an ELECTRIC STEERING RACK. Nice try tho'.

I have a 2012 FWD Escape

I have a 2012 FWD Escape Hybrid, only 2300 km, and noticed same thing. Lost power steering after stopping at light and trying to turn right. Was fortunately able to get the car into a parking place, shut it down and restarted. Will be making a call to Ford tomorrow